Student Immigration

All you need to know about VISAs and studying

Tier 4 (General) student visa – Applying from within the UK

When you apply for a Tier 4 visa from within the UK you are applying for further leave to remain. You must make a valid Tier 4 visa application to the Home Office before your current visa expires.
If you are outside the UK please read our information on applying for Tier 4 from overseas.


You may need to apply for further leave to remain* if:

  • you are progressing to a new course of study and the start date of your new course of studies (as stated on your CAS) must be no more than 28 days after the end of your current leave. If the gap between the end of your current leave and the start of your new course is longer than 28 days then you must leave the UK and apply from your home country.
  • you need more time to undertake re-sits or to repeat part of your course.
  • you are extending your stay in the UK to work under the Doctorate Extension Scheme
  • you are applying to extend your leave in order to complete a Year Abroad/Work Placement or you have previously completed a Year Abroad/Work placement and as a result of this you need further leave to remain to complete your course.

*It is important that you check first that you are eligible to apply and that any time limits on study in the UK do not affect your application. Please contact Kent Union Advice Centre for help with eligibility requirements and completing the application.

Time of application:

If you require an extension to your visa to continue your course you will need to apply to extend your visa before it expires. If you do not apply for your new Tier 4 visa before your current visa expires you will not be able to continue your studies as planned.

If you are continuing your course and need to extend your visa, you can apply from within the UK at any time up to the date your visa expires. We highly recommend you apply as soon as possible and do not leave it to the last minute.

Please note that depending on your circumstances we may not continue to sponsor you to finish your course if you are not required to be in attendance and your work can be completed remotely, for example if you are required to revise your dissertation.

After your application:

Once your visa is issued check your biometric residence permit (BRP) carefully to make sure all the information and conditions are correct.

If there is an error on your BRP read UKCISA's guide on correcting a visa error and contact the Kent Union Advice Centre if you believe there is an error on your visa.

Bring your visa to the Central Student Administration Office reception in the Registry Building (Canterbury Campus) or the Gillingham Building (Medway Campus) so it can be scanned to your record. Please refer to your visa responsibilities for a list of documents you must present.

University of Kent - © University of Kent

The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T: +44 (0)1227 764000

Last Updated: 12/02/2018