Professor Anneli Albi
Kent Law School - Lecturer in European Law
Professor Anneli Albi joined Kent Law School in 2003, having been a doctoral researcher at the European University Institute in Florence (1999-2003). She obtained her undergraduate law degree and a diploma in political science from the University of Tartu, Estonia.
Also view these in the Kent Academic Repository
Comparative constitutional law
EU constitutional law
European Neighbourhood Policy
Major Research Projects
In 2006 Professor Albi completed the European Commission and British Academy funded project 'The European Constitution and National Constitutions', in the framework of which an international conference was organised in Tallinn in November 2005.
As of January 2012, Professor Albi will be on study leave to work on the research project 'The Role and Future of National Constitutions in European and Global Governance'. She was awarded a five-year grant of 1.2 million EUR by the European Research Council, in the framework of the Independent Starting Grant Scheme. For a news release on the grant: http://www.kent.ac.uk/news/stories/research-award-for-law-lecturer/2012
For an interview in Estonian, see:
Some examples of Prof Albi's media appearances are here.
Research Areas: European and Comparative Law
The Law of the European Union (LW593)
EU Constitutional and Institutional Law (LW815)
Foundations of EU Common Market and Economic Law (LW858)
Previously taught modules
Competition Law of the EU (LW826)
Free Movement of Persons in the EU (LW832)
Professor Albi welcomes supervision in the field of EU law and comparative constitutional law
Other Academic Activities
- Member of the University Association for Contemporary European Studies (UACES)
- Member of the United Kingdom Association of European Law (UKAEL)
- Member of the Constitutional Law Group (UK branch of the International Association of Constitutional Law)
- Member of the University of Salzburg and Austrian European Community Studies Association (ECSA) research project ‘Member States’ Constitutions and EU Integration’, directed by Professor Stefan Griller (2012-2016)
- Expert in the European Commission's Gender Equality Network (2004-2011).
- Member of the External Advisory Board of the Yearbook of Polish European Studies
- Member of the Honorary Scientific Board of the Romanian Review of International Law.
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Turkish Academy of Justice law journals "Law and Justice Review" and "Human Rights Review"
- Lectured in EU law training seminars in South-East European countries in the framework of the Netherlands Foreign Ministry funded MATRA Programme of the T.M.C. Asser Institute; the General Rapporteur of the same programme (2003-2005).
- Professor Albi has also served as an ad hoc expert to the Supreme Court of Estonia, Chancellor of Justice of Estonia, and provided evidence at briefing seminars on the Baltic states at the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
- Berlin Humboldt University, lecture at Research Group ‘Multi-level Constitutionalism’, forthcoming 04.02.2015
- University of Amsterdam, interdisciplinary workshop ‘Towards a Grammar of Justice in EU Law’, 06.-07.11.2014;
- Estonian Lawyers Congress, keynote speech, Tartu, 02-03.10.2014;
- Austrian European Community Studies Association Research Network ‘Member States’ Constitutions and EU Integration’, workshop at the University of Maastricht, 05.-06.06.2014
- University of Sussex, European Institute, research in progress seminar, 05.02.2014
- Ius Commune Conference, stream ‘Constitutional Avenues for Further European Integration’, University of Maastricht, 29.11.2013
- University of Geneva, workshop ‘Europeanisation of public powers’, 31.05.2013
- Keynote speech at the University of Turku (Finland) workshop ‘Constitutional Identity’, 16-17.04.2013
- University of Maastricht, European and National Constitutional Law Project (EUNACON) Closing conference, 20-22.02.2013
- University of Vilnius, Conference 'The European Union after the Lisbon Treaty and Challenges to Lithuania', 9.12.2011.
- University of Swansea, BASEES study group on Baltic States, annual symposium, 9.05.2011
- University of Antwerpen and University of Maastricht workshop 'Constitutional Conversations in Europe – Actors, Topics and Procedures', Antwerpen, 31.01.-01.04.2011
- Keynote speech at the Helsinki University Conference "Rethinking Legal Thinking"; 26-28.08.2010, Centre of Excellence in Foundations of European Law
- University of Surrey, guest presentation at the staff and postgraduate seminar, 10.03.2010
- Keynote concluding speech at the UACES and BASEES workshop "Central and Eastern Europe and the European Union Court System"; Centre for the Study of International Governance, University of Loughborough, 14.11.2009
- Prague Charles University, conference "Sovereignty and competences of the European Union"; 28.-29.05.2009
- Central European University and UACES conference", Enlargement - Five Years After: The State of European Integration and New Challenges for the Discipline"; invited presentation at the first plenary session, 08.-09.05.2009
- University of Leuven, guest lecture to postgraduate students, 29.04.2009
- University of Cardiff, guest presentation at the Jean Monnet staff seminar series, 23.04.2009
- Series of lectures in Canada on 25-27.03.2009, including the Annual EU Law Lecture by a Distinguished Scholar at the joint EU Centre of Excellence at Carleton University and University of Ottawa. Other guest lectures were delivered at the University of Montreal and McGill University.
- University of Utrecht, workshop "Challenges for New Member States: Discussion from a National Perspective", 08.12.2008
- Riga Graduate School of Law, EU RECON project conference "European Integration Challenges and Visions from the Baltic Perspective", 20-21.11.2008
- SIPE (Society of European Public Law) Congress ", Migration and Integration in Europe", Parliament of Andalucia, Sevilla, 05-07.06.2008
- Rutgers University and Kent Centre for Federal Studies workshop Federal and Sub-national Constitutions, Chilston Park, Kent, 01.04.-05.04.200
- Centre for Political and Constitutional Studies of the Spanish Ministry of Presidency, workshop "The Reform Treaty and national constitutions: towards further Europeanisation?", Madrid, 25-26.01.2008.
- University of Oslo, Workshop of the Department of Public and International Law, 06.-07.12.2007.
- University of Giessen workshop "European Law and the Courts of the Transition Countries", 22.-23.11.2007, Giessen, Germany.
- University of Oxford, Institute for European and Comparative Law, guest presentation at staff and postgraduate research seminar, 14.11.2007.
- University of Tartu conference "Transforming sovereignties: The concept of sovereignty in the context of power and law", 28.-29.09.2007, Tartu, Estonia.
- University of Regensburg conference ", EU New Neighbourhood Policy as an instrument of transformation, approximation and integration -; the example of Ukraine", Regensburg, 27-28.06.2007.
- University of Saarland and Volkswagen Foundation conference "Legitimacy in Europe", Prague, 28-29.06.2007.
- University of Oldenburg conference " Multidimensional Equality Law - Developing Interdisciplinary Perspectives", Oldenburg, 11-12.05.2007 (as an invited chair of a panel).
- University of Zagreb Jean Monnet conference "Constitutional Implications of EU Membership", Zagreb, 20-21.04.2007.
- The Swedish Network for European Legal Studies conference "The General Principles of European Community Law", Stockholm, 23-25.03.2007.
- University of Sevilla Conference "75 Years of Female Suffrage in Spain", Parliament of Andalusia, Sevilla, 03-06.10.2006.
- University of Hanover workshop "Integration or Absorption? Legal discourses in the enlarged Union", Hanover, 28-30.09.2006.
- Polish Academy of Sciences, Institute of Legal Studies workshop "The Recent Developments and the Future of the European Union", Jurata/Gdansk, 18-24.06.2006.
- University of Latvia Jean Monnet Conference ";Beyond EU Enlargement: Responding to Challenges";, Riga, 20-22.04.2006.
- Conference "Sovereignty in the 21st Century", organised by the research group "Sovereignty and its Discontents (SAID)", University of Oxford, Department of International Relations, 29.10.2005.
- University of Regensburg, conference "The Future of the European Union: a Constitutional Union or a Confederation of States?", Regensburg, 01-02.07.2005.
- European University Institute conference "Apres Enlargement: Taking Stock of the Immediate Legal and Political Responses to the Accession of Central and Eastern European States to the EU", Florence, 29-30.04.2005.
- Constitutional Court of Turkey, Symposium for the 43rd Anniversary of the Constitutional Court, "Harmonisation of the Turkish Constitution with the European Constitution", Ankara, 28.04.2005.
- Woodrow Wilson Centre in Washington, East European Studies section, conference "The Evolution of the Nation State: International Organizations and Domestic Change";, Dubrovnik, Croatia, 08-10.04.2005.
- Asser Institute, Round table ";Quality of Legislation in the Enlarged EU";, The Hague, 04.03.2005.
- UACES Specialist Group workshop "Europeanization of Central and Eastern Europe", London School of Economics, 26.02.2005.
- Guest lecture to post-graduate students at the University of Regensburg, 13.12.2004.
- T.M.C. Asser Institute conference ";The Hopes and Fears of New Member States and (Pre)candidate Countries. Views on the EU Constitution", The Hague, 13-16.10.2004.
- Madrid Universidad Carlos-III, European University Institute and University of Verona joint conference "The National Constitutional Reflection of European Union Constitutional Reform", 06-07.09.2004.
- Regensburg University and Bayern Constitutional Court";s VI International Congress ";European Constitutional Law Developments after the Enlargement", 10-12.06.2004.
- Queen's University Belfast, ESRC workshop on EU enlargement, Belfast, 12.05.2004.
- Guest lecture to post-graduate students in the Asser College Europe, 04.03.2004.
- Regensburg University and Bayern Constitutional Court's V International Congress "Developments in European Constitutional Law in 21st Century. Europeanisation, Convergence of Principles and Global Transfer", Regensburg, 20-21.06.2003.
- EUI conference "Europeanisation of Constitutional Law in the Light of the Constitutional Treaty for the Union,", Florence, 9-11.05.2003.
- College of Europe-Natolin conference "Enlargement and the European Constitutional Process", Warsaw, 31.01-01.02.2003.
- EUI Robert Schuman Centre workshop "Sovereignty and Enlargement", Florence, 27.05.2002.
- EUI Robert Schuman Centre's Convention Working Group, workshop "The European Constitutional Debate and Enlargement", Florence, 23.04.2002.
- Gothenburg University, workshop "The Process of Estonia's Integration into the Western Economic System - International Legal Issues", Sweden, November 2001.