Continued access to RefWorks
If you want to carry on using your saved references in RefWorks, you can set up an alumni account. You can't add new references to this.
Copy your references
Take a copy of your old Refworks account before your Kent IT account expires:
- Log into your RefWorks account and use the backup function (Tools menu > Backup & Restore > Backup).
- Save the .zip file, which is a copy of your account information
- When you have access to your new Alumni account (see below) you can use the restore function to upload the settings into Tools menu > Backup & Restore > Restore.
Set up your alumni account
- You need the University of Kent RefWorks Alumni Group code. If you can't to access the Group code page, email firstname.lastname@example.org to ask for the code: give details of your old Kent login name and student number as proof of your alumni status.
- Go to the RefWorks login page
- Look for 'New to RefWorks? and click Sign up for a New Account.
- If you are not recognised as being from the University of Kent (for example if you are off-campus), you will be asked for the Group Code
- Enter the Alumni Group Code at the prompt and click Find Institution
- You will now be able to create a new University of Kent Refworks account
- Create a new individual account - choose a login name and password that you want to use in future.
- enter an email address
- select "Alumni" as your user category from the Type of User drop-down menu
- select your user category and department/discipline (area of focus) from the drop-down menus
- Click Create Account
Details of the RefWorks login name and password for this account will be sent to your email address. You will need the login name and password to log into the account in future.
Open Access scholarly works
Due to licensing restrictions we're unable to make subscription e-resources available to alumni. But increasingly, academic works are published Open Access, which means they are free to use and share. Follow our advice on how to find legitimate Open Access versions of scholarly articles and books.
Services for all visitors
See the full range of our library services for visitors.
Find out all the ways you can get in touch.