College Life

This page explains how the College and Community Life (CCL) team can help you with your life on campus.

Your College Life Officers

The College Life Officers are here to enrich your on-campus residential life with:  

  • Support for personal welfare concerns and referral to specialist support services 
  • Help with early resolution and advice for household disputes or disagreements 
  • Events where you can learn new skills, meet new people and discover opportunities at Kent 
  • Friendly, informal advice and guidance about residential life.  

To book an appointment with one of our Life Officers, email the team on

How College Life Officers can help you

Early Resolution

The majority of minor household disputes can be resolved by approaching the issue early on. When living with others in accommodation, you may find that you have disagreements or people with different lifestyles in your residence which may lead to tension.  

The College and Community Life Team can facilitate a mediated discussion with your household, where you can openly discuss how the behaviour of others may be making you feel. The College Life Officer will be able to make sure discussions remain calm and constructive, and may be able to support you as a household to come to a compromise or solution.  

Read our article on resolving household disputes.

Connecting people 

We are committed to providing opportunities where you can meet new, like minded, people and make new friends at university. This can include events run by your Residential Life Assistants to meet people in your College residences, signposting to clubs, societies, networks and other student groups.  

Living independently – learning new skills

Our team run workshops and events focussed around learning a new skill to help you with independent living. These can range from cooking lessons, recipe packs, informative videos and guidance resources.

If you would like to see what’s coming up you can view our events calendar here.  

Personal welfare support

Life at university can sometimes be stressful, and personal problems can impact you social and academic experience. Our team is here to support you, provide guidance or refer you to specialist support services available to you at Kent. Our friendly team is here to listen and provide you with the information you need to make an informed decision for your support.

You can book an appointment with one of the College Life Officers here or visit us in the Locke Building, above the Co-op, in the heart of the Canterbury campus.

Signposting and referrals to specialist support

There are specialist university support services available to you when you live and study at Kent. In some cases we may suggest a referral to a specialist support service to provide you with the best outcome for you.

This will be an open discussion, where we will be able to tell you about other support services available, to help you make an informed decision. We will not refer you to another service at the university without your permission, unless there is a direct risk of harm to yourself or others.

What services might we refer you to?

The Student Support and Wellbeing team provide advice and support with disability and neurodivergence and for students experiencing distress arising from emotional or mental health issues.   

The Kent Union Advice Centre offers free, impartial and confidential advice and guidance on a range of issues you may confront while at university. 

Your academic division’s support service can provide you confidential, sensitive support regarding your course, including extensions, access to learning arrangements and timetable changes.

Student Conduct and Complaints are a friendly team who investigate complaints and student conduct issues where a student may have breached the student charter and regulations. You can make a complaint by filling out the Student Complaints Form here.    

The Careers and Employability Service can support you with your employability skills and provide workshops and guidance to prepare you for your future career.    

Your College affiliation remains as you move off-campus and into private accommodation. The College and Community Life team can continue to support you even as you live as part of the local residential community. 

Last updated