Successful completion of Level 4 and 5 language modules.
OverviewThe module investigates a variety of films and texts produced by Cubans both in Cuba and in exile from the time of the Revolution to the present day. In analysing these texts, an impression will emerge of how different writers and artists respond to the powerful presence of the revolutionary regime and to the pressures inherent within that system. Textual analysis will run parallel to an investigation of the history and politics of the revolutionary period, highlighting key moments and issues that become decisive elements within the texts.
This module appears in:
Teaching will comprise of one 2-hour seminar per week over 10 weeks.
Method of assessment
Indicative Reading List:
Miguel Barnet Biografía de un cimarrón
Reinaldo Arenas Antes que anochezca
Cristina García Soñar en cubano
Film Muerte de un burócrata dir. Tomás Gutiérrez Alea
Film Fresa y chocolate dir. Tomás Gutiérrez Alea & Juan Carlos Tabío
Students who successfully complete the module will:
1. Have acquired a knowledge of a variety of textual media essay, diary, novel, film from a variety of Cuban artists.
2. Have investigated how these works are situated in, and relate to, the historical, cultural, social and political events of the Cuban revolutionary era.
3. Have improved their ability to analyse, criticise and assess logical arguments.
4. Have improved their ability to research, plan and present orally to the group a chosen topic.
5. Have improved their ability to read texts in Spanish.