The module provides an introduction to the basic knowledge required to understand, design and work with basic electronic circuits and the basic principles underlying the process of Electronic Engineering. No previous electronics experience is assumed and the module proceeds via a sequence of lectures supported by simple exercises designed to give practical experience of the concepts introduced in the lectures. The underpinning aspects of professional practice are also introduced.
Total contact hours: 43
Private study hours: 107
Method of assessment
Best 4 out of 5 two hour laboratory assignments (30%)
Best 8 out of 10 quizzes (40%)
10 tutorials (10%)
One day mini-project Conceive-Design Assignment (20%)
The University is committed to ensuring that core reading materials are in accessible electronic format in line with the Kent Inclusive Practices.
The most up to date reading list for each module can be found on the university's reading list pages.
See the library reading list for this module (Canterbury)
The intended subject specific learning outcomes. On successfully completing the module students will be able to:
1. recognise the fundamentals of basic electric components and circuits;
2. analyse simple electric circuits;
3. explain basic input and output electronics for microcontrollers;
4. identify a range of sensor and actuator device functions.
5. recognise ethical, environmental, and design issues in engineering.
The intended generic learning outcomes. On successfully completing the module students will be able to:
1. analyse numerical problems
2. use computers as an engineering tool.
Back to top
Credit level 4. Certificate level module usually taken in the first stage of an undergraduate degree.
- ECTS credits are recognised throughout the EU and allow you to transfer credit easily from one university to another.
- The named convenor is the convenor for the current academic session.
University of Kent makes every effort to ensure that module information is accurate for the relevant academic session and to provide educational services as described. However, courses, services and other matters may be subject to change. Please read our full disclaimer.