The Centre for English and World Languages (CEWL) specialises in the delivery of internationally-focused programmes, modules and courses in English and other World languages. CEWL provides courses for students, staff and the wider community.
How we collect your information
Your personal data is obtained:
- Directly from you when you apply for a course via online forms, email or by phone
- Via UCAS for the International Foundation Programme
- From recruitment representatives (agents) who complete forms on your behalf.
How we use your information
If you have made an application we will use your personal information for the purposes of:
- Processing your application
- Forming the basis of your student record if you are successful in obtaining a place
- To help us make reasonable adjustments for any disability
- To allow us to consider any accommodation requirements
- To provide statutory returns as required by applicable legislation
- To ensure we are compliant with government legislation in particular with regards to VISA’s and Immigration status
Your information is also used by the relevant staff in CEWL for administration purposes.
Who your information will be shared with
We are committed to protecting your data. It will not be disclosed to external organisations unless we are required to do so by law. This includes third parties and parents. If a student would like to grant permission for staff in CEWL to discuss their progress with a third party they must complete the ‘Third Party Permission Form’ located on Moodle.
However it is necessary to share your information with other University Departments when:
- You are progressing to another course within the University.
- You require University accommodation
- You require additional support with your studies
How long will we hold your information?
We review our retention periods for personal information on a regular basis. We are required by law to keep some information, but in general we will delete information after one year.
For more information