Prior to applying for a Tier 4 visa
Essential Reading and Information
- Tier 4 (General) student visa
- Tier 4 rules
- Tier 4 Policy Guidance
- UKCISA guidance: Applying for a Tier 4 (General) visa from overseas or applying from within the UK
- UKCISA guidance: Financial Evidence Requirements for a Tier 4 (General) visa.
- Frequently Asked Questions
To apply for a Tier 4 visa you must:
- Make sure that you are eligible to apply for a Tier 4 visa; Eligibility for Tier 4 (General) student visa
- Apply 3 months before the start of your course;
- Be in receipt of a CAS from the University; Tier 4: How to apply for a CAS
- Submit the correct fee to UK Visas & Immigration; Visa Fees
- Apply online
You must meet the financial requirements to qualify for a Tier 4 visa and have sufficient funds for your tuition fees and meet the maintenance costs specified in the Home Office Tier 4 Policy Guidance.
It is extremely important to read through this to fully understand the financial requirements for a student visa.
Evidence of qualifications
If there are qualifications mentioned in your CAS under "evidence used to obtain offer" then you must provide these with your application. Documents must be original and meet the Home Office requirements.
Pre-sessional English courses
Our Centre for English and World Languages offers a range of pre-sessional English courses and you may choose to take one in order to meet an outstanding language condition. Where this is the case, we can only issue a CAS for your pre-sessional English course. Once you have completed this successfully we will issue another CAS to cover your degree course and you will have to apply for a new Tier 4 visa to cover this period of study. You can normally apply for an extension to your Tier 4 visa from within the UK.
If you have an unconditional offer to study your degree course and would also like to study a pre-sessional English course before your degree course starts, you may be eligible for a CAS that will cover both courses.