Equality Diversity and Inclusivity
Science cannot reach its full potential unless it can benefit from the talents of the whole population. The School of Mathematics, Statistics and Actuarial Science is committed to fostering an inclusive and tolerant culture for students and staff alike. We strive for an academic and social environment where every individual is treated fairly, is respected and supported, and can contribute to our mathematical community.
- The School was the first at the University of Kent to achieve an Athena SWAN award recognising its progress in the advancement of women in science.
- SMSAS is a pilot school in the University’s Student Success (EDI) project investigating student success differences and putting activities in place to support all students.
- SMSAS is proud of the exceptional student support that we provide.
- We are active in the University networks: the Disability Staff Network, Women’s Network, and LGBT+ Staff Network all support colleagues and work towards a more inclusive University.
- Our representatives participate in the Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity Network which disseminates EDI policies and good practice initiatives across the University and is a forum for discussion and consultation on EDI issues.
- Several staff members contribute to equality and diversity work nationally, for example through the LMS Good Practice Scheme and as Athena SWAN panelists.
The SMSAS EDI Committee is committed to creating an inclusive academic culture which promotes equality and diversity. We celebrate our diversity at SMSAS but realise that there is still much work to do in the advancement of underrepresented groups in Mathematics, Statistics and Actuarial Science.