Consumer information

The US government requires institutions which offer federal student loans to disclose the following consumer information. If you require any further information about the content, please email

Student financial aid information

Our Scholarships and Loans web pages, as well as International Student Funding web pages contain information about financial assistance available to students.
Information specific to US Loans can be found on our Foreign Loans web page.  

Cost of attendance

Information on tuition and fees can be found on the Student Finance Tuition Fees web page. Information on costs relating to books and supplies, room and board, transportation as well as additional costs can be found on the Student Finance Living Costs web page. Occasionally there may be additional costs for your course, which will be outlined to you by your School.  

Refund policy

Tuition and accommodation fees will be refunded in accordance with University policies outlined in the Student Finance Guide in place at the time of withdrawal.  


Students seeking information on the requirements and procedures for withdrawing from the University should refer to the procedures set out by each Faculty (Humanities, Social Sciences, and Sciences). Information can be found here.  

Academic programme information

Information about instructional, laboratory and other facilities relating to academic programmes, as well as information on faculty and instructional personnel, can be found on the relevant School websites. Plans to improve academic programmes will be communicated directly to students by the relevant schools.  

University and programme accreditation, approval or licensure

The University is recognised as a degree-awarding body and is listed in the Education (Recognised Bodies) (England) Order 2013.  

Facilities and services available to students with disabilities  

Details of facilities and services available to students with disabilities are available from Student Support.  

Copyright infringement policies (including computer use and file sharing)  

The University’s policies and sanctions related to copyright infringement and peer-to-peer file sharing are outlined in University’s IT Regulations. Unauthorised distribution of copyright material, including unauthorised peer-to-peer file sharing, may subject you to civil and criminal liabilities.  


While the University does not require students to be vaccinated it provides the following advice and guidance.

There has been a small increase in the rate of meningococcal meningitis or septicaemia in recent years.  Young people attending higher education for the first time, especially when living in halls of residence or other shared accommodation, are at a greater risk of this disease particularly in the first few weeks of their first term at university.

To achieve maximum protection students should have been immunised against Meningitis C before attending the University.  If any student is unable to receive this immunisation in their home area, they will be able to be immunised by the University Medical Centre, located on the Canterbury campus.

During the last few years, a number of Universities including Kent, have seen an increase in cases of mumps among students; furthermore, there have been occurrences of measles in particular communities in the UK.  These can be debilitating illnesses in young people with the possible risk of complications.  Department of Health advice is that all those entering higher education should have had two immunisations against measles, mumps and rubella (known as MMR). Please, therefore, ensure that you are fully immunised before you arrive at the University.

Drug and alcohol abuse

Policies and penalties associated with drug and alcohol related offences are outlined in the following University policies:

Impact of drug conviction on federal financial aid eligibility

Under the US Higher Education Act, a student may become ineligible for US Federal student aid upon a conviction of any offence involving the possession or sale of illegal drugs while receiving Title IV federal financial aid. Federal aid includes: US Federal Direct Loans and US Federal Direct PLUS Loans.

The chart below illustrates the period of ineligibility for US Federal Aid, depending on whether the conviction was for sale or possession and whether the student had previous offences. A conviction for sale of drugs includes convictions for conspiring to sell drugs.

  Sale of illegal drugs Sale of illegal drugs
First offence One year from date of conviction 2 years from date of conviction
Second offence Two years from date of conviction Indefinite period
Third offence Indefinite period

If convicted of both possessing and selling illegal drugs, and the periods of ineligibility are different, the longer period of ineligibility will apply.

A student regains eligibility the day after the period of ineligibility ends or when the student successfully completes a qualified drug rehabilitation program or the conviction is reversed, set aside or otherwise rendered nugatory. The student will lose eligibility again upon a subsequent drug conviction.

For complete information, please see the FAFSA web page at: or contact the Federal Student Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID.

Drug convictions during enrolment

According to the United States Department of Education, if a student is convicted of a drug offence after receiving Federal aid, he or she must notify the Foreign Loans Unit at the University of Kent at immediately. The student may be ineligible for further aid in that academic year and required to pay back all US Federal aid received after the date of the conviction. The Foreign Loans Unit will work with the student regarding all of the available options.  

Textbook information

Information about required and recommended textbooks and materials will be made available to you by your academic school and is available on your module reading lists.  

Last updated