Dr Xinggang Yan (严星刚) received his BSc degree from Shaanxi Normal University, in 1985, MSc degree from Qufu Normal University in 1991, and PhD degree in engineering from Northeastern University, P. R. China in 1997. Currently, he is a Senior Lecturer in the University of Kent. He worked as a Research Fellow/Research Associate in the University of Leicester, United Kingdom, the University of Hong Kong, China, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore and Northwestern Polytechnical University, China. He was a Lecturer in Qingdao University, P. R. China from 1991 to 1994. His research interests incluide nonlinear control, sliding mode control, decentralized control, fault detection and isolation, observer design, time delay systems with applications in engineering systems.
New book: Xing-Gang Yan, Sarah Spurgeon and Edwards Christopher, Variable Structure Control of Complex Systems: Analysis and Design. Springer, 2017
Dr Xinggang Yan's research interests, broadly speaking, lie in the control design and analysis of linear and nonlinear dynamical systems and large-scale interconnected systems with applications in real engineering systems. The problems investigated in his previous work are generally classified as: nonlinear control, observer design, decentralized control, fault detection and isolation, dynamical modeling, robust stabilization, tracking control and learning control etc, where not only state feedback but also output feedback is considered for varieties of systems; the matched and mismatched uncertainties are both dealt with. His frequently employed research approaches include Lyapunov analysis, sliding mode control, modern differential geometric approach, adaptive control and iterative learning control etc, which he has frequently made use of in the past and recent research works. The primary computational and simulation tool for the design and analysis is MATLAB with its toolboxes and Maple.
The developed theoretical results have been tested in some practical systems, through computer simulation, such as robot system, fight control system, electric power system, multimachine power systems and coupled inverted pendulum system etc.
- EL021 Calculus (Foundation Year)
- EL318 Engineering Mathematics (First Year)
- EL319 Engineering Analysis (First Year)
- EL562 Computer Interfacing (2nd Year Group Project)
- EL569 Signals and Systems (Second Year)
- EL600 Third Year Engineering Project (3rd Yeara Individual Project)
- EL676 Digital Control (Third year)
- EL849 Research Methods & Project Design (MSc)
- EL876 Advanced Control (MSc)
- EL890 MSc Project
Academic research visitors
- Ms Jin Wang: 01/08/2018-31/01/2018, Visiting Researcher, Funded by China Scholarship Council (CSC), Senior Engineer in ShangHai Space Electronics Technology Institute, China.
- Dr Ke Zhang: Visiting Researcher, 01/05/2018-30/04/2019, Funded by China Scholarship Council (CSC), Associate Professor from Nanjing University of Areonauticas and Astronauticas, China.
- Mr Wenbo Tian: 10/05/2016-09/10/2016, Visiting Researcher, Funded by China Scholarship Council (CSC), Senior Engineer in ShangHai Space Electronics Technology Institute, China.
- Dr Xiaolin Gong: 31/03/2016-30/03/2017, Visiting Researcher, Funded by China Scholarship Council (CSC), Lecturer in Beihang University.
- Mr Qi Chen: 01/10/2015-30/03/2016 , Visiting PhD student, funded by Nanjing Science and Technolgy University, China
- Dr Xiaofang Yuan: 19/10/2013-18/10/2014, Visiting Researcher, Hunan University, P.R. China. Funded by China Scholarship Council (CSC). Project: Intelligent control system theory and applications
- Prof Qingling Zhang: 19/10/2013-19/01/2014, Visiting Professor, Northeastern University, P.R. China. Funded by Royal Academy of Engineering of the United Kingdom. Project: Variable structure control for complex singular systems with applications to industrial systems
- Dr Yi Zhang: 19/10/2013-18/01/2014, Visiting Researcher, Shenyang University of Technology , P.R. China. Funded by Shenyang University of Technology. Project: Optimal Control for Prey-Predator Fishery Model Described by Differential and Algebraic Equations
Current PhD students
- Mr KangKang Zhang (visiting PhD student) (28/10/2017-27/10/2018) funded by Chinese Scholarship Council.
- Mr Adrian Emeka Onyeka. Variable structure control of time delay systems with applications
- Mr Mokhtar S. Khalifa Mohamed. Nonlinear observer design with applications in fault detection and isolation
Previous PhD students
- Mr. Jianqiu Mu. Robust sliding mode control of complex systems with applications
- Dr Mohammad Farhan Khan, Robustness and Responsiveness in Eukaryotic Protein Synthesis,
- Dr Anet J. N. Anelone. A study of the synergies between control mechanisms in the immune system and the variable structure control paradigm
- Dr Qi Chen (Visiting PhD student) 01/10/2015-30/03/2016, funded by Nanjing Science and Technolgy University, China
Current MSc students
- Miss Sonia Anne Abraham: Control design of a multi-link robot system
- Mr Andre Reis Rodrigues: Robust trajectory/output tracking control of a robot system
Previous MSc students
- Mr Emmanuel Omotayo (2016-2017)
- Mr. Peter Hogben (2016-2017)
- Mr Francisco D.B. Soler Jorba (2015-2016)
- Mr Yankun Yang (2015-2016)
- Mr Anuo Yerawar (2015-2016)
- Mr Junchi Chen (2014-2015)
- Mr Benjamin M. Okochi (2014-2015)
- Mr Mohammad Daoud Abbadi (2013-2014)
- Miss Jingying Cao (2013-2014)
- Mr Nithin Nagaraj (2013-2014)
- Mr Jianqiu Mu (2012-2013)
- Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Engineering Research and Science & Technology, (ISSN 2319--5991
- Lead Guest Editor of the Special Issue on "Advanced Control of Complex Dynamical Systems with Applications" for the journal: Mathematical Problems in Engineering, 2016
- Guest Editor of the Special Issue on "Advanced Control for Singular Systems with Applications" for the journal: Mathematical Problems in Engineering, 2017
- Member of Editorial Board of Journals: Complexity, Energies, Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Cogent Engineering, Annals of Robotics and Automation, International Journal of Electrical and Electronic Engineering & Telecommunications (IJEETC), SF Journal of Aviation and Aeronautical Science, Journal on Automation and Control Engineering(JACE), International Journal of Research Studies in Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Research in Applied Mathematics, etc.
- Member of Technical Program Committee
- The Second International Conference on Physics, Mathematics and Statistics (ICPMS2019) , Hangzhou, China, May 22-24, 2019. http://www.pmsconf.org/Committee.aspx
- The 2nd International Conference on Computer Science and Application (CASE 2018), Hohhot, China, October 22 to 24, 2018. http://www.csaeconf.org/Committee.aspx
- The 3rd International Conference on Mechatronics and Electrical Systems (ICMES 2018), Bangkok, Thailand, October 12-14, 2018.
- The Seventh International Conference on Smart Cities, Systems, Devices and Technologies SMART 2018, Barcelona, Spain, July 22-26, 2018. https://www.iaria.org/conferences2018/SMART18.html
- The 2nd International Conference on Mechatronics and Electrical Systems (ICMES 2017) ， Wuhan, China，Dec 22-25, 2017.
- The 3rd Annual International Conference on Computer Science and Mechanical Automation (CSMA2017), Wuhan, China, November 10-12, 2017 http://www.csma2017.org/?op=committee
- The 5th Annual 2017 International Conference on Mechanics and Mechatronics [ICMM2017] will be held on December 15th-17th, 2017, Xiamen, China.
- Member of Technical Program Committee of the 2nd international Conference on Mechatronics, Control and Automation Engineering (MCAE2017), Shenzhen, China,17-18, September 2017. http://www.mcae2017.org/
- Member of Executive Editorial Board of the International Conference on Industrial Electronics and Electrical Engineering (ICIEEE), 2017.