Bayes Theorem for density functions; Conjugate models; Predictive distribution; Bayes estimates; Sampling density functions; Gibbs and Metropolis-Hastings samplers; Stan and Python; Bayesian hierarchical models; Bayesian model choice; Objective priors; Exchangeability; Choice of priors; Applications of hierarchical models.
Total contact hours: 36
Private study hours: 114
Total study hours: 150
Method of assessment
The University is committed to ensuring that core reading materials are in accessible electronic format in line with the Kent Inclusive Practices.
The most up to date reading list for each module can be found on the university's reading list pages
On successfully completing this module students will be able to:
1) demonstrate systematic understanding of key aspects of Bayesian Statistics;
2) demonstrate the capability to deploy established approaches accurately to analyse and solve problems using a reasonable level of skill in calculation and manipulation of the material in the following areas: derivation of posterior distributions; computation of posterior summaries, including the predictive distribution; construction of Bayesian hierarchical models and their estimation using Markov chain Monte Carlo methods; critical evaluation and interpretation of software output
3) apply key aspects of Bayesian Statistics in well-defined contexts, showing judgement in the selection and application of tools and techniques;
4) show judgement in the selection and application of techniques in Stan and Python.
Back to top
Credit level 6. Higher level module usually taken in Stage 3 of an undergraduate degree.
- ECTS credits are recognised throughout the EU and allow you to transfer credit easily from one university to another.
- The named convenor is the convenor for the current academic session.
University of Kent makes every effort to ensure that module information is accurate for the relevant academic session and to provide educational services as described. However, courses, services and other matters may be subject to change. Please read our full disclaimer.