Advanced Level Criminal Law - LW601

Location Term Level Credits (ECTS) Current Convenor 2017-18 2018-19
Canterbury Autumn and Spring
View Timetable
6 30 (15) MS JM Thompson

Pre-requisites

None

Restrictions

None

2017-18

Overview

While the curriculum for LW508 Criminal Law Level I and LW601 Advanced Criminal Law Level H is by and large the same in that the same topics are considered, students following the course at level H will consider each discrete topic to a much greater depth making use of, and improving, skills developed in earlier years of their degree programme.
The module is structured to provide students with the opportunity to explore the major issues in criminal law through class presentation, through consideration of essay style topics and to engage in critical analysis of topics by considering criminal law problem questions. Students will be expected to discuss particular issues of criminal law and their implications for a wider social context. At the commencement of the module students are provided with a Seminar Workbook which outlines the weekly seminar topic and task.

Details

This module appears in:


Contact hours

Two lectures per week, and a 2 hour fortnightly seminar.

Availability

This module is available to all students following a Law programme who take Criminal Law in stages 2 or 3 of their degree. This module is not available to students who have taken LW508.

Method of assessment

There are two alternative assessment patterns: Path A and Path B.
Path A - a dissertation of 7000 words worth 60%, the remaining 40% consists of a problem question worth 20% and an oral presentation worth 20%.

Path B - 40% Coursework consisting of a problem question worth 20% and an oral presentation worth 20% and 60% written examination.

Preliminary reading

N Lacey, C Wells, & O Quick , Reconstructing Criminal Law 4th Edition, Cambridge University Press, 2010
A Ashworth, Principles of Criminal Law, Oxford University Press 6th ed, 2009.

See the library reading list for this module (Canterbury)

See the library reading list for this module (Medway)

Learning outcomes

1. Demonstrate a sound grounding in the concepts, principles and rules of criminal offences; in particular, the law relating to murder/manslaughter, non-fatal offences, defences, theft, fraud, sexual and inchoate offences.

2. Demonstrate a thorough and critical understanding of the wider debate in respect of the place of criminal law in the social context, the definitions of harm and the boundaries of criminal law.

3. Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of the major theoretical debates in the criminal law field.

4. Critically assess criminal liability in a given factual situation and identify any defences by applying relevant legal principles, case law and statute law to the facts, and critically debate any issues raised.

5. Engage in an intricate, reasoned and informed discussion of the major areas of criminal law making appropriate reference to legal and academic source authorities.

6. Critically evaluate the operation of the criminal law in the social context.

University of Kent makes every effort to ensure that module information is accurate for the relevant academic session and to provide educational services as described. However, courses, services and other matters may be subject to change. Please read our full disclaimer.