EL831 - ANIMATION SET UP
1. Production of a character design portfolio illustrating adaptation to various professional briefs, backed up by life drawing sessions.
2. Intensive research into surface anatomy and detail for the modelling project.
3. Production of a clean, animateable, basic 3D model with an even structure of vertices, quadratic face surfaces and form reflecting edge loops.
4. Production of image displacement, bump and normal maps in a sculpting programme using paint and sculpt tools and upon the previous model.
5. Application, rendering and final compositing of all maps upon the model resulting in a professional turntable render to create a final high resolution film.
34 contact hours
Total workload is 150 hours.
Only available to students on programmes owned by The School of Engineering and Digital Arts
Method of assessment
This module is assessed by 100% by coursework by means of a portfolio of drawings, image, movie and Maya Binary files. Assessment of this portfolio tests achievement of all the learning outcomes.
Be able to interactively sculpt and add hyper realistic surface detail to organic polygonal models.
Be able to design a wide range of characters and creatures for 3D animation on paper and implement those designs as 3D models.
Be able to create apply sculpted detail to3D Models using normal, bump and displacement maps.
Understand how large texture and image files are handled in 3D programmes using bake functions, texture filtering and block order textures.