What can I do with my degree in Graphic Design?
As well as subject-specific knowledge and skills, a graduate in graphic design will typically have gained:
- problem solving skills where the individual will generate solutions in response to set briefs
- team-working skills that allow the collaborative generation of ideas, proposals solutions and arguments
- decision-making skills for thinking in a divergent and independent way when observing, investigating or visualising ideas towards a material outcome, as well as handling ambiguous or uncertain situations through anticipation and adaptation to change
- organisational skills to monitor and achieve a balance between intention, process and outcome
- commercial awareness skills that allow resourcefulness and entrepreneurial practice
- creativity in imaginatively using materials, media technologies, methods and a variety of tools while observing good working practices
- research skills that allow independence during study or goal setting, as well as dealing with workloads and deadlines
- leadership skills in analysing information and experiences effectively, making independent judgements, as well as clearly articulating carefully-reasoned arguments through reflection, review and evaluation, and identifying personal strengths and needs
- persuasion, influence and negotiating skills when effectively interacting and collaborating collectively with others, as well as visually or orally articulating and communicating ideas, information, writing or work to audiences from across a range of different situations
- research and critical thinking skills when sourcing, navigating, selecting, retrieving, evaluating, manipulating and managing information
- IT skills when selecting and employing information technologies
(Based on the Higher Education Academy Employability Profiles)
This is not an exhaustive list of skills – you will develop many skills from your course, extra-curricular activities and work experience. You can find out more about the skills employers look for and how you can develop them here.