The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
Professor Iain Fraser
Professor of Agri-Environmental Economics
School of Economics, Keynes College, Lg.12
- +44 (0) 1227 823513
Iain Fraser is Deputy Head of School and Concessions Co-ordinator
Iain Fraser is a Professor of Agri-Environmental Economics. He received his PhD from the University of Manchester in 1992. He has held academic positions in the UK at the University of Manchester, Manchester Metropolitan University and Imperial College. He also lectured in Australia for seven years at La Trobe University.
His research interests cover various aspects of agricultural, environmental and resource economics. Since September 2012 he has been an editor of the European Review of Agricultural Economics.
back to top
- “An economic analysis of species conservation and translocation for island communities: the Seychelles paradise flycatchers as a case study," (with Rachel M. Bristol, Jim J. Groombridge and Diogo VerÃssimo), Journal of Environmental Economics and Policy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(3), pages 237-252, November, 2014.
- "Nonhomothetic Growth Models For The Environmental Kuznets Curve,"(with Katsuyuki Shibayama), International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 55, pages 919-942, 08, 2014.
- "Using Attribute Importance Rankings Within Discrete Choice Experiments: An Application to Valuing Bread Attributes," (with Kelvin Balcombe, Michail Bitzios and Janet Haddock-Fraser), Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(2), pages 446-462, 06, 2014.
- "Divestment of the English Forestry Estate: An economically sound choice?" (with Steven King), Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(C), pages 25-31, 2013.
- “The Double Dividend hypothesis in a CGE model: Specific factors and the carbon base," (with Robert Waschik), Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 283-295, 2013.
- “Food choice, health information and functional ingredients: An experimental auction employing bread," (with Nicole Elizabeth Hellyer and Janet Haddock-Fraser), Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 232-245, 2012.
- "A general treatment of ‘don't know’ responses from choice experiments," (with Kelvin Balcombe), European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 38(2), pages 171-191, June, 2011.
- "Bayesian model averaging and identification of structural breaks in time series," (with Kelvin Balcombe and Abhijit Sharma), Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(26), pages 3805-3818, 2011.
- "Farmer Compensation and its Consequences for Environmental Benefit Provision in the Higher Level Stewardship Scheme," (with Emmanuelle Quillérou and Rob Fraser), Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(2), pages 330-339, 06, 2011.
- "Functional ingredients and food choice: Results from a dual-mode study employing means-end-chain analysis and a choice experiment," (with Michael Bitzios and Janet Haddock-Fraser), Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 714-724, October, 2011.
- “Improved interval estimation of long run response from a dynamic linear model: A highest density region approach," (with Jae H. Kim and Rob J Hyndman), Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(8), pages 2477-2489, August, 2011.
- "Technology Adoption and Pest Control Strategies Among UK Cereal Farmers: Evidence from Parametric and Nonparametric Count Data Models," (with Abhijit Sharma and Alastair Bailey), Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 73-92, 02, 2011.
- "Traffic lights and food choice: A choice experiment examining the relationship between nutritional food labels and price," (Kelvin Balcombe and Salvatore Di Falco), Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 211-220, June, 2010.
- "Consumer willingness to pay for in-flight service and comfort levels: A choice experiment," (with Kelvin Balcombe and Liam Harris), Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 221-226, 2009.
- "Dichotomous-choice contingent valuation with 'dont know' responses and misreporting," (with Kelvin Balcombe), Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(7), pages 1137-1152, 2009.
- "Model selection for the mixed logit with Bayesian estimation," (with Kelvin Balcombe and Ali Chalak), Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 226-237, March, 2009.
- "Non-renewable resource prices: Structural breaks and long term trends," (with Abhijit Sharma and Kelvin Balcombe), Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(2), pages 805-819, 2009.
- An application of the DEA double bootstrap to examine sources of efficiency in Bangladesh rice farming," (with Kelvin Balcombe, Laure Latruffe, Mizanur Rahman and Laurence Smith), Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(15), pages 1919-1925, 2008.
- "Modifying willingness to pay estimates where respondents mis-report their preferences," (with Kelvin Balcombe, Alastair Bailey and Ali Chalak), Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(5), pages 327-330, 2008.
- "Pesticides, Preference Heterogeneity and Environmental Taxes," (with Ali Chalak, Kelvin Balcombe and Alastair Bailey), Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(3), pages 537-554, 09, 2008.
- "A computable general equilibrium analysis of export taxes in the Australian wool industry," (with Robert Waschik), Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 712-736, July, 2007.
- “Bayesian Estimation of Willingness-to-pay Where Respondents Mis-report Their Preferences," (with Kelvin Balcombe, Alastair Bailey and Ali Chalak), Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 69(3), pages 413-438, 06, 2007.
- "Examining the technical efficiency of rice producers in Bangladesh," (with Kelvin Balcombe, Mizanur Rahman and Laurence Smith), Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(1), pages 1-16, 2007.
- "Input usage, output mix and industry deregulation: an analysis of the Australian dairy manufacturing industry," (with Kelvin Balcombe and Hristos Doucouliagos), Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(2), June, 2007.
Iain's current research interests cover various aspects of agricultural, environmental and resource economics. Examples, include agri-environmental economics (the use of contracts, implications of climate change, farmer coordination), non-market valuation (Contingent Valuation and Choice Experiments), the role of information in food consumption and applied econometrics. He has also conducted research on natural resource accounting, household waste management and the use of contracts in the Australian wine sector.
Iain's RePEc page is http://econpapers.repec.org/RAS/pfr98.htm
- Fraser, I.M, Clarke, H. and Waschik, R. (2014). How Much Abatement Will Australia's Emissions Reduction Fund Buy?, CCEP Working Papers 1416, Centre for Climate Economics & Policy, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Fraser, I.M., Bugden, J., Racine, J.S. and Waschik, R., (2014). Parametric and Nonparametric Analysis of Tax Changes, Department of Economics Working Papers 2014-02, McMaster University.
- Fraser, I.M., Balcombe, K.G., Bitzios, M. and Haddock-Fraser, J., (2013). Using Attribute Importance Rankings within Discrete Choice Experiments: an application to Valuing Bread Attributes, 2013 Conference (57th), February 5-8, 2013, Sydney, Australia 152151, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- EC532 Environmental Economics, Institutions and Policy (Convenor)
- EC571 Agricultural, Food and Natural Resource Economics (Convenor)
back to top
- Wed 11.00-13.00
- Ms Tsz Wing Law, registered 2014
- Mr Andreas Markoulakis, registered 2014
- Ms Christina Siettou: "Pet Markets and Animal Welfare", registered 2010, submitted August 2014.
- Ms Monica Paganini: "Firm Level Efficiency", registered 2011
- Mr Steve King, registered 2011, submitted October 2014.
- Dr Emmanuelle Quillerou: "Adverse Selection and Agri-Environmental Policy Design: The Higher Level Stewardship Scheme as a Case Study", completed 2010
- Dr Nicole Snell: "Topics on Food and Health", completed 2011
- Dr Michael Bitzos: "Topics on Food and Health"
- Ms Uzma Iram: "Health Inequalities in Pakistan", registered 2010
back to top
- Deputy Director of Learning and Teaching
- Concessions Co-ordinator
back to top