Postgraduate Loans for Doctoral Study
Eligible students can borrow up to £25,000 and repayments will not start before April 2022
Repayments will be income contingent and made concurrently with undergraduate and Masters loans.
Rates will be set at 6% of annual income over £21,000 at an interest rate of 3% plus RPI.
The loans will be available for programmes including PhD/DPhil, EdD, EngD and integrated doctoral programmes. The programme can be taught or research-based, or a combination of both.
- All disciplines and subject areas are eligible
- Loans will be available for full-time, part-time and distance learning
- The loans cover split-site programmes as long as Kent is the lead institution and provided you spend at least 50% of your study time in the UK
- The loans are not means tested and are paid directly into your UK bank account
Am I eligible?
Whats not included?
- UK and EU nationals who have been resident in England for three years prior to starting their doctoral programme
- You need to be under 60 at the time you register for your programme
- Your previous highest level qualification must be below Doctoral level
- You are keeping to the repayment terms of your previous student loans
- You are not in receipt of Research Council funding, a Social Work bursary, are eligible for an NHS bursary
- Programmes where you are resident outside the UK for more than 50% of your degre
- Distance-learners not resident in England at the start of their programme and in the UK for the remainder
- Top-up programmes
- Doctorates by publication