Faculty Investigator, National Institute for Health Research, Biomedical Research Centre at Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust and UCL Institute of Ophthalmology.
SCOPUS ID: 26638425000: http://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=26638425000
RESEARCHER ID: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/F-7094-2012
RESEARCH GATE: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Adrian_Podoleanu
Adrian Podoleanu received the Ph.D. degree in Electronics from the Electronics and Telecommunications Faculty, Technical University of Bucharest, Romania in 1984. He began his career teaching at the Technical University Bucharest, Romania. As an associate professor, he taught Physics, Optics and Optoelectronics and developed research on Lasers and fast optoelectronics.
Since 2004 he is a Full Professor of Biomedical Optics in the School of Physical Sciences at the University of Kent, Canterbury, UK and heads the Applied Optics Group. His research interests focus on optical coherence tomography (OCT), imaging the eye, distance measurements using low coherence interferometry, subnanosecond dwell time multichannel digital correlation, sensing and secure optical communications. He contributed towards development of the en-face OCT imaging as a novel technology to complement the more conventional longitudinal OCT imaging, towards the dual imaging instrument for the eye, OCT/SLO and towards Fourier domain OCT with no mirror terms (using Talbot bands).
He is involved in teaching of non-invasive optical imaging methods with emphasis on OCT, Electromagnetism and Optics and Medical Physics.
- Advanced Research Prize, University of Kent, 2017
- Excellence Prize for Innovation in Health in the field of optical coherence tomography, at the 2nd Edition of Innovation in Health Awards, Media Systems Communication (MSCo.), Sheraton Hotel, Bucharest, Romania, 8 April 2015;
- Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award, 2015;
- European Research Council, Advanced Research Fellowship, 2010-2015;(please here link:https://erc.europa.eu/projects-and-results/erc-funded-projects/cogatimabio)
- Ambassador’s Diploma, Embassy of Romania in the UK, 24 Oct. 2009;
- Leverhulme Research Fellowship, 2004 - 2006;
- The Romanian Academy “Constantin Miculescu” prize for research in Lasers and Nonlinear Optics in 1984.
Fellowships And Honours
- Fellow of the Institute of Physics, 2012;
- Fellow of the Optical Society of America (OSA) (for major contributions to the science and engineering of biomedical optics, including contributions to optical coherence tomography, retinal imaging and adaptive optics), 2012;
- Fellow of the International society for optics and photonics (SPIE) (for achievements in ophthalmic imaging and optical coherence tomography), 2012.
- Doctor Honoris Causa, Victor Babes University of Pharmacy and Medicine Timisoara, Romania, 26/09/2014.
Convenor PH504, Electromagnetism and Optics Convenor PH513, Medical Physics Convenor PH800, Biomedical Optics (.doc)
Book chapters: 15
Articles in peer reviewed journals: 210
Communications at conferences: over 700;
Patents: 21 awarded, 3 patent applications.
Invited talks and seminars: 75.
He is a member in the editorial boards of 6 journals, chaired 8 international conferences and acted as a member in the organising committees of over 50 international conferences.
He is director of Optopod Ltd, a spin-out of the University of Kent involved in spectral OCT.
- REBOT, EPSRC;
- European Industrial Doctorate, supported by Marie Curie actions, EC;
- Biomedical Research Centre, University College London, Institute of Ophthalmology and Moorfields Eye Hospital;
- European Research Council, Proof of concept, AMEFOCT;
- Shape OCT, DTU, Denmark.
Past grants and activities
- European Research Council, Proof of concept
- European Research Council, Advanced Research Fellowship, 2010-2015;
- Marie Curie Training Site;
- Laser stimulation;
Room 301, Ingram Building
Also view these in the Kent Academic Repository
- Non-invasive imaging of the tissue, especially optical coherence tomography and confocal microscopy
- Optical sensing
- Fast optoelectronics
- Optics Group Research Pages
- PG: PH800, Biomedical Optics;
- 2nd year: Electromagnetism and Optics II (PH504);
- 3rd year: Relativity, Optics and Maxwell's equations (PH604);
- Biomedical Optics (within the unit Medical Physics, PH513);
LECTURES AT SUMMER SCHOOLS
Lasers in Medicine and Life Sciences, Szeged, Hungary, 13-18 July 2015
Optical Coherence Tomography Part A, 16th July 2015, on youtube
Optical Coherence Tomography Part B, 16th July 2015, on youtube