Special Collections & Archives

 

 

CP Davies Collection of Mills and Milling

Kent: photographs of watermills by HES Simmons

Benenden, Wandle Mill
View: General view from road
Date: 09/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/1
Notes: Rebuilt by the Warren family (see Kent millwrights), 1828. Two pairs of stones and a quantity of roller plant. Ceased working 1938 and a large Beam engine then disposed of (2056)

Benenden, Wandle Mill
View: Water-wheel
Date: 09/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/3
Notes: This overshot wheel is the work of Weeks, of Maidstone (2058)

Chart Sutton: The Mill
View: General view from road
Date: 09/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/9
Notes: Machinery now removed and mill used as a store. 3 pairs of stones and portable engine. (2065)

Chart Sutton: The Mill
View: Water-wheel
Date: 09/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/8
Notes: The Largest wheel in the neighbourhood, it measures 20ft. by 4ft. and was made by Weeks of Maidstone. (2064)

Chart Sutton: The Mill
View: Detail of Wheel
Date: 09/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/7
Notes: The wheel is fitted to a square fluted shaft and displays excellent workmanship. (2063)

Frittenden, Maplehurst Mill
View: General view from road
Date: 09/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/5

Frittenden, Cherry Tree Farm
View: Small Wheel mounted over stream
Date:09/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/4
Notes: This small wheel used to drive farm machines. (2060)

Otham, Otham Mill
View: General view from road
Date: 09/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/10
Notes: Stands on the River Len and was built in 1837. It is sometimes referred to as Bearsted Mill. (2066)

Otham, Otham Mill
View: Wire machine
Date:<09>
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/14
Notes: Bolter formerly in use at the mill

Otham, Otham Mill
View: Water-wheel
Date: 09/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/12
Notes: The overshot wheel is of small diameter but wide, and is extremely powerful

Harrietsham, Pollhill Mill
Views: Wheel only
Date: 09/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/19
Notes: The mill has gone, but the wheel and pentrough made by Weeks is still in position. (2075)

Harrietsham, Pollhill Mill
View: Site of mill
Date: 09/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/18
Notes: Was a small mill. The site now forms part of a garden. (2074)

Hollingbourne, The Mill
View: General
Date: 09/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/15
Notes: Built 1840 and ceased work 1924. Three pairs of stones. Wheel is of overshot type.(2071)

Ulcombe,Chegworth Mill
View: General from road Date: 09/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/16
Notes: stands near Chegworth Court and works three pairs of stones.(2072)

Ulcombe,Chegworth Mill
View: Wheel
Date: 09/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/17
Notes: Overshot wheel by Weeks of Maidstone.(2073)

Harrietsham, Fairbourne Mill
View: General view
Date: 09/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/20
Notes: Stands between Harrietsham & Ulcombe. Wheel now removed and power supplied by turbine.(2076)

Willesborough, Sevington Mill
View: General view of ruins
Date: 10/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/21a
Notes: Rebuilt by Thomas Perkins in 1852 and eventually gutted by fire. Had two wooden overshot wheels and five pairs of stones.(2077)
Comment by CP Davies(?): "I think only one wheel"

Egerton, Burnt Mill
View: General
Date: 10/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/32
Notes: Stands well away from road and is a very interesting mill. Three pairs of stones. Machinery includes an old fashioned split damsel and two wooden stone nuts. The small iron overshot was made by John Hill of Ashford in 1863. (2088)

Egerton, Burnt Mill
View: General, from across river
Date: 10/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/30
Notes: (2086)

Egerton, Field Mill
View: General, from road
Date: 10/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/34
Notes: Very small inside. Originally two pairs of stones but one only when mill sold 1938. Was latterly used in conjunction with Stone Mill (wind) of same parish.(2090)

Egerton, Field Mill
View: General, from field on opposite side of road
Date: 10/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/33
Notes: Worked by an enclosed overshot wheel.(2089)

Wye Watermill
View: General, from other side of river
Date: 10/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/22
Notes: Stands on east bank of the Great Stour and close to the railway station. Used for many years by the Kennett family and now run by Messrs. Denne. The large flood gates were put in by Weeks of Maidstone in 1869.(2078)

Westwell Mill
View: General, from road
Date: 10/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/23
Notes: (2079)

Westwell Mill
View: side of mill showing wheel
Date: 10/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/25
Notes: Stands east side of the church and contains much early wooden gear. Now disused but in fair repair. (2081)

Westwell Mill
View: Similar view (to SCKM 43 - F123538/25) but portrait
Date: 10/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/24
Notes: (2080)

Hothfield, Hurst Mill
View: Of stream and nearby house
Date: 10/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/27
Notes: Of this mill only the foundations remain.(2083)

Chart Court, Swallow Mill
View: General
Date: 10/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/29
Notes: a large building combining mill and mill house, it is well kept and in good order throughout. The wheel is enclosed.(2085)

Speldhurst, Barden Mill
View: General, from yard?
Date: 13/05/40
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/317
Notes: Now dismantled and used as a store. Wheel, now removed was made by Warren, of Hawkhurst. (2373)

Staplehurst, Lowhurst Mill
View:General, from other side of stream
Date: 10/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/36
Notes: The present iron overshot is boxed in and replaces one of wood which is said to have been considerably more powerful.(2092)

Staplehurst, Lowhurst Mill
View: General, from lane
Date: 10/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/35
Notes: from N.W. (2091)

Hothfield Mill
View: General, from lane
Date: 10/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/26
Notes: Stands on main Ashford to Maidstone road and now used as a tea house. Wheel is an overshot and mill was rebuilt by Hill, of Ashford. (2082)

Hawkhurst, Furnace Mill
View: General, in bad condition
Date: 12/05/40
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/316
Notes: Stopped working c.1917 and then dismantled. The wheel was of wood and measured 16ft. by 6ft. There were four pairs of stones. Mill now in bad condition.(2372)

Ashurst Mill
View: Flood gates on river
Date: 07/05/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/64
Notes: was destroyed by fire September 1930. The flood gates are the work of Weeks of Maidstone, 1861. (2120)

Ashurst Mill
View: Site of wheel?
Date: 07/05/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/63
Notes: The wheel here was 16ft. diameter by 8ft.(2119)

Ashbourne Mill
View: Wooden stone nut
Date: 12/05/40
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/318
Notes: An interesting wooden stone nut with detachable cogs, it was taken from Ashbourne Mill, Tenterden, and is now in the possession of Mr. John Russell of Cranbrook. (2374)

Plaxtol, Wingfield Mill
View: General, from road
Date: 17/06/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/145
Notes: A large mill now derelict, it dates from 1836. The placing of the wheel is unusual; it is just inside the archways, is an overshot measuring 11 ft. diameter by 12ft. wide, and was made by Weeks of Maidstone in 1874.(2201)

Little Chart, Ford Mill
View: General, from field
Date: 10/04/39
Accession number: SCKM 43 - F123538/28
Notes: A paper mill with many outbuildings attached. The wheel, which was an overshot and made by Harmer, was removed and a turbine installed.(2084)

 

University of Kent - © University of Kent

The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T: +44 (0)1227 764000t the Library | Give Library feedback | Library Regulations

Last Updated: 11/01/2018