Monument Valley

Information for students from the USA

The University of Kent is a popular destination for students from the USA. We currently have over 200 American students on campus studying a variety of our programmes, from foundation right through to PhD level.

treasure hunt video

Entry requirements

At Kent we consider all applications on their individual merit and welcome students from the USA with a wide variety of qualifications and experience. Please note that some departments may have slightly different entry criteria.

If you have any specific queries or questions please contact us at

College Board code

The University of Kent's College Board code is 9027. Please quote this number if you request for your official transcripts to be sent to us

Foundation programme

Students who have successfully completed their High School Diploma with a minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0 are eligible to apply for our foundation programmes. We will also consider students who have taken the General Educational Development (GED) Programme, High School Equivalency Test (HiSET) or Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC).

We offer two types of foundation programme which enable progression onto a wide range of our undergraduate degrees: the International Foundation Programme (IFP) and 4-year integrated programmes which include a foundation year:

  • The International Foundation Programme (IFP) is for international students whose school-leaving qualifications are insufficient for direct entry to undergraduate study and/or whose English language standard is below the necessary level. The IFP gives you a year’s preparation in academic subjects, English language and study skills up to the required level for progression onto undergraduate degree study. The IFP is delivered at our Canterbury campus by University of Kent academics and successful completion of the programme provides entry into a wide range of Bachelor degrees in our faculties of Humanities, Social Sciences and Sciences. We offer September and February start dates depending on your chosen pathway and the degree you intend to progress on to.
  • We offer 4-year integrated programmes which include a foundation year in Actuarial Science, Chemistry, Computer Systems Engineering, Electronic and Communications Engineering, Forensic Science, Mathematics, Pharmacology and Physiology, and Physics. These are designed for students with acceptable English language ability but school-leaving qualifications below the level required for direct entry to an undergraduate degree. Entry to these foundation programmes may require you to have studied specific subjects at high school.

Please note: you only need to take a foundation programme if your qualifications are not suitable for your chosen degree.


For entry to a Kent undergraduate degree programme, US students typically need to have:

  • A High School Graduation Diploma with a minimum final GPA of 3.2/4.0

PLUS one of the following:

  • SAT with a score of between 1290 – 1380 depending on the subject you are applying for OR
  • ACT with a score of between 27-29 depending on the subject you are applying for

OR one of the following, or a combination of:

  • 3 SAT Subject Tests with cores of between 600-700 depending on the subject you are applying for OR
  • 2 Advanced Placement (AP) tests with scores of between 4-5 depending on the subject you are applying for

Applicants will also be considered with one of the following:

  • An Associate Degree with a GPA of at least 3.2/4.0
  • 1 or 2 years of a US Bachelor’s degree with a GPA of at least 3.2/4.0
  • International Baccalaureate Diploma and Certificates as per standard University of Kent requirements
  • College-level classes/honors classes on a case-by-case basis

Second year entry

Students who have completed 2-3 years of a Bachelor’s degree in the US with a minimum GPA of 3.2/4.0 may be considered for 2nd year entry to a Kent undergraduate programme provided they have taken sufficient classes in their major.

Note about studying Law at the University of Kent

American students who wish to apply for any of our LLB (Law) programmes can also apply to the University of Kent upon completion of the qualifications listed above, since law is considered an undergraduate subject in the UK. It is not necessary to complete an undergraduate degree in the USA first and then apply for the LLB.
Students who have already completed their undergraduate degrees in a non-law subject but who wish to obtain an LLB can also apply for entry to the Senior Status LLB, which allows you to complete the LLB in two years rather than three.


For entry to a Kent postgraduate degree programme (Master’s), US students typically need to have completed a four-year undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s or First Professional degree) at an accredited university or college. Exact requirements will depend on the postgraduate degree you are applying for and the institution you have studied at.

  • For programmes that require a 2:1 we usually ask for a final GPA of 3.2/4.0. Students from highly ranked institutions may be accepted with a GPA of 3.0/4.0
  • For programmes that require a 2:2 we usually ask for a final GPA of 3.0/4.0. Students from highly ranked institutions may be accepted with a GPA of 2.8/4.0

Some, but not all, postgraduate programmes require your undergraduate degree to have a related major. Some postgraduate programmes may require work experience in a relevant field or at a certain level.


For details of our MBA programme, please see the MBA course page.


For entry to a Kent PhD programme, US students typically need to have completed a Master’s degree with a minimum GPA of 3.2/4.0 at an accredited university or college. Students who have completed a taught Master’s will need to show evidence of previous research experience.

If you would like to pursue a PhD at Kent, you should visit the relevant department website and our find a supervisor page to identify potential supervisors for your research and thesis. You are encouraged to then make direct contact with the appropriate academic to discuss your research proposal.

The University has three PhD entry dates during the academic year: September, January and May.  Entry to a Master’s by Research is in September only.

English language requirements

Applicants will also need to meet University of Kent's standard English language requirements. These are set at a level that meets both the academic needs of the University and the minimum requirements for a Tier 4 (General) student visa.

Applicants for the International Foundation Programme or pre-sessional English programmes are required to have a UKVI recognised SELT (Secure English Language Test). These must be taken at one of the UKVI approved test centres.

Applicants for postgraduate programmes who have studied to at least Bachelor’s degree level entirely in the medium of English or who have worked in an English speaking environment may be considered for exemption from standard English language requirements on a case-by-case basis.  A letter confirming the medium of instruction of English will be required.

Pre-sessional courses in English for Academic Purposes (EAP)

If you need to raise your English language skills, you can attend one of our intensive pre-sessional courses in English for Academic Purposes. Satisfactory achievement on one of these courses can be used to meet Kent's English language entry requirements in place of other external language examinations.

Fees and funding

Tuition fees

For the latest details on fees, see our course fees look-up table.


The University offers a wide variety of financial support and scholarships, including awards for academic, musical and sporting excellence. Scholarships include our International scholarships for undergraduate students and International Scholarship for Taught Masters Students.

For details of all the scholarships available, please use our scholarship finder.

Loans for students from the USA

The University of Kent administers US Federal Direct loans, US Private loans and US Veterans Educational Benefits (or GI Bill) for students from the United States. Find out more...

How to apply

Undergraduate applicants

Applications for full-time undergraduate courses must be made through UCAS Apply. International students can also apply through UCAS with the assistance of one of Kent's overseas representatives. See how to apply for undergraduate study.

If you are applying for a subject-specific foundation programme, you apply in the same way as for a three-year undergraduate degree.

Applications for our International Foundation Programme (IFP) can be made:

Important dates

  • Students from the EU are advised to apply by 15 January
  • Students from outside the EU should aim for 15 January to guarantee consideration. However, if places are left, we may consider applications up to 30 June.

Late applications

A process called 'Clearing' takes place in July and August, running from 1st July annually. We will provide an updated list all of the Kent degrees that still have places available once Clearing opens – this can give you another chance to apply. For more information on how the Clearing process works and how to apply, please see Clearing at Kent for details.

Postgraduate applicants

See how to apply for postgraduate study.

Important dates

  • For international students, the deadline for applications to taught Master's programmes is 31 July.
  • Although there is no fixed closing deadline for applications to research degrees, we strongly recommend that you apply as soon as possible; no later than three months before your intended start date. The University has three PhD entry dates during the academic year: September, January and May. Entry to a Master’s by Research is in September only.

Contact us

If you have any questions about applying to Kent, please contact us.

Our representatives in the USA

Kent is officially represented by Across the Pond. We work closely with them to ensure that you receive the best possible advice on your study options.

We make regular visits to our representatives’ offices to keep their staff up to date on University developments and advise prospective students on study opportunities. Whilst it is not compulsory, we do encourage you to consult a local representative. Their experienced staff will guide you on the best choice of course and provide you with practical advice on your application.

Find a representative near you:

Office location Representatives

Country news

Visas and entry clearance

Many of our short-term students from the USA have chosen to travel to the UK via the Republic of Ireland. However, by taking this route you will not be given the correct type of entry clearance (visa stamp) that will permit you to study with us. If you intend to travel via Ireland you must apply for, and be granted, a short-term study visa for the UK prior to travelling to the UK. If you do not obtain the correct permission to study in the UK you will need to leave the UK to a location outside and legally apply as a short-term study visa holder. This means you would incur further travel costs and delays with starting your studies.

For further information, please visit the UKCISA webpage or contact our Student Immigration Compliance team.