Global Skills Award
The Graduate School administers the unique Global Skills Award for taught postgraduates. Postgraduate students registered on taught programmes of study are invited to apply for a place on our programme which comprises of a range of lectures on global issues and a series of skills workshops which have been specifically designed to improve your employability in a competitive job market.
The programme runs from November to April; it is free of charge and those who successfully complete it will receive a Global Skills Award Certificate.
What will I need to do to successfully complete the programme?
Postgraduate taught students accepted onto the programme will:
- Complete an online career development and skills assessment at the beginning of the programme
- Attend a minimum of six GSA workshops. The six workshops must include a workshop from Category A and a workshop from Category B (see below). Students will then be able to select from a range of other GSA workshops offered to complete their award. The on-line booking system will provide full details of the training workshops which are on offer.
- Attend a minimum of six lectures on global issues which will take place between 6pm and 7:30pm throughout November to March. Details of the lecture programme will be available through the on-line booking system
- Provide feedback on all the workshops and lectures attended
- Comply with the Terms of Engagement, which will be outlined at the introductory lecture
IMPORTANT: Students' priority should be their Master's programme, and their Global Skills Award should be organised around their Master's work commitments. Under no circumstances should students miss scheduled seminars to attend GSA workshops.
|Category A Workshop||Category B Workshop|
|Career management||Team working|
|CVs||Leadership: rising to the challenge|
|Covering letter||Presentation skills|
|1:1 CV review||Motivating myself-motivating others|
|Mock Assessment Centre||Negotiation skills|
|Using LinkedIn||Cross cultural communication|
|Application forms||Writing Skills|
|Commercial awareness||Time management|
How can I apply?
Enroling onto the GSA 2017-18 is available from 25th September 2017. We will contact all eligible students to inform them when enrolement has begun.
If you have registered with the online booking system before 25th September, you will be able to change your account and enrol onto the GSA after the 25th.
For more information browse our booklet.
If you have problems with the site or if you can't find what you're looking for, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone on 01227 824896.