The following key themes will be covered in the module:
I. Legal Sources of Immigration, asylum and refugee law: British, EU, Council of Europe, international, comparative.
II. Historical Evolution of the government and regulation of immigration, asylum and refugee subjects.
III Asylum and Refugee law: (1) International, ECHR and EU standards on asylum and refugee protection (2) Key aspects of British law and practice on asylum.
IV. Select aspects of Immigration law (British, EU and ECHR standards will be integrated)
V. Key contemporary problems in each of the fields of immigration, asylum and refugee law (as case studies).
VI. Key interdisciplinary contemporary debates and contributions to the study of immigration, asylum and refugee law.
Lectures – 20 hours per annum; Seminars – 20 hours (approximately)
Method of assessment
G Clayton Textbook on Immigration and Asylum Law (5th ed, Oxford University Press, 2012)
Macdonald's Immigration Law and Practice (8th Ed, Butterworths 2010)
See the library reading list for this module (Canterbury)
On completion of this module it is intended that students will be able to demonstrate critical knowledge and understanding of the following matters of relevance to the field of nationality, immigration and asylum law:
- the sources of immigration, asylum and refugee law;
- the history and theory of governing immigration, asylum and refugee subjects ;
- key aspects of the regulation of legal and illegal immigration to Britain;
- key aspects of the international regulation of asylum and refugee protection;
- the main intellectual and interdisciplinary debates in the areas of immigration, asylum and refugee law.
Back to top
- ECTS credits are recognised throughout the EU and allow you to transfer credit easily from one university to another.
- The named convenor is the convenor for the current academic session.
University of Kent makes every effort to ensure that module information is accurate for the relevant academic session and to provide educational services as described. However, courses, services and other matters may be subject to change. Please read our full disclaimer.