Introduction and underlying Principles: of the Finite Element Method; Identification of appropriate domain of solution; Element formulation and libraries; Creation of mesh; Fundamental of different Boundary condition types; post-processing results, importance of verification, development of checking strategies; sources of inaccuracies and errors.
Contact hours: 34
Hours of private study: 116
Total hours for the module: 150
Method of assessment
Jacob, Fish, and Belytschko Ted. A first course in finite elements. Wiley, 2007.
Khennane, Amar. Introduction to finite element analysis using MATLAB® and abaqus. CRC Press, 2013.
The intended subject specific learning outcomes. On successfully completing the module students will be able to:
1. Explain the underlying principles of the Finite Element method including different element type, boundary condition definition, etc
2. Use the industry-standard software for interactive FE model generation, analysis and the post-processing
3. formulate the boundary conditions of a problem in a suitable form for correct analysis and interpret the output from the software critically in order to obtain the required
The intended generic learning outcomes. On successfully completing the module students will be able to:
1. Deploy accurately established techniques of analysis and enquiry within a discipline;
2 Communicate more effectively using a variety of methods;
3 Show a systematic understanding of key aspects of their field of study, including acquisition of coherent and detailed knowledge;
4 Exercise initiative and personal responsibility.
Back to top
Credit level 6. Higher level module usually taken in Stage 3 of an undergraduate degree.
- ECTS credits are recognised throughout the EU and allow you to transfer credit easily from one university to another.
- The named convenor is the convenor for the current academic session.
University of Kent makes every effort to ensure that module information is accurate for the relevant academic session and to provide educational services as described. However, courses, services and other matters may be subject to change. Please read our full disclaimer.