Sorry, this module is not currently running in 2019-20.
CO320 Introduction to Object Oriented Programming, CO323 Databases and the Web
OverviewThe module studies in detail the activities and artefacts associated with software development process as performed by a development team that adopts an Agile methodology.
Topics covered include
• Concepts, principles, practice and philosophy of an Agile approach to software development
• Collaboration: environment, programmer collaboration, team values, customer involvement, standards and reporting
• Planning: release and iteration/sprint planning, risk assessment, stories and estimating
• Development: incremental requirements, customer tests, test-driven development, refactoring, simple design, incremental design and architecture, spike solutions, performance optimisation
• Agile project management: roles, values and team philosophy; management of scope and the business/economic issues such as:, time, cost, quality and risk.
• Ethics and professional responsibility
This module appears in:
22 hours of lectures
11 hours of supervised practical classes
Method of assessment
The aim of this module is to provide an opportunity for students to understand basic Agile principles and practice to be able to undertake a comparatively small software development project later in the programme.
Students who successfully complete this module will be able to:
Understand and discuss the principles and practices employed in the production of a software system using an Agile methodology.
Identify the benefits to be gained by adopting an Agile approach to software development when compared to previous software development paradigms
Understand the role and expected behaviour of key members of the development team and overall inherent values of the team
Determine the product requirements and devise a corresponding product roadmap
Describe Agile incremental development and its associated activities
Plan releases and sprints and complete the corresponding backlogs
Explain how product scope and procurement is managed in Agile
Describe the management of time and cost, quality and risk in Agile
Understand key metrics used to gauge development performance.
Appreciate how to deal with electrical components commonly encountered computing systems, including safe working practices, to the standard of A+ certification.