Explain the benefits of and reasons for correct referencing
Students should not believe that correct referencing is only required to avoid accusations of plagiarism. Emphasise:
- good academic practice and the positive reasons for referencing
- academic integrity and the student’s membership of the academic community
- the link between good academic practice and better grades rather than penalties
Activities to promote academic integrity:
- explicitly include academic skills and referencing in assessment criteria
- include students in assessment design where practicable
- encourage students to become involved in departmental discussions on plagiarism
- provide examples of good academic writing at a suitable level from your discipline (first year students cannot emulate published work!).
Content adapted from a range of sources (see Useful References).