The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
Professor Sean Sayers
Emeritus Professor of Philosophy
Sean Sayers has written extensively on Hegelian and Marxist philosophy from a Hegelian‑Marxist perspective. He has worked in the areas of social philosophy, ethics, theory of knowledge, metaphysics and logic. He has also written on Freud and psychoanalysis, and is currently working on issues in aesthetics. He studied at the Universities of Cambridge and Oxford and holds a PhD from the University of Kent. He has held visiting appointments in Massachusetts, Colorado, Sydney, Istanbul, Beijing, Shanghai and Wuhan. His work has been translated into Chinese, Korean, Japanese, French, German, Turkish and Greek.
His books include Marx and Alienation: Essays on Hegelian Themes (2011), Plato's Republic: An Introduction (Edinburgh University Press, 1999), Marxism and Human Nature (Routledge, 1998, paperback 2007), Reality and Reason: Dialectic and the Theory of Knowledge (Blackwell, 1985), and Hegel, Marx and Dialectic: A Debate (with Richard Norman 1980; reprinted Gregg, 1994). He has also co‑edited Socialism, Feminism and Philosophy: A Radical Philosophy Reader (Routledge, 1991), Socialism and Democracy (Macmillan, 1991) and Socialism and Morality (Macmillan, 1990). He has published numerous articles in scholarly journals and books. He was one of the founders of the journal Radical Philosophy (1972), and of the Marx and Philosophy Society (2003). He is founder and editor-in-chief of Marx and Philosophy Review of Books (2010).
- Founder and Editor-in-Chief, Marx and Philosophy Review of Books (since 2010)
- Editorial Advisory Board, 'Current Research in Western Marxism' book series, Renmin Publishing House, Beijing (since 2006)
- Co-founder and Organizing Committee, Marx and Philosophy Society (since 2003)
- Consulting Editor, Episteme (since 2002)
- Editorial Board, 'New Critical Thinking in Philosophy' series, Ashgate (1999-2006)
- Editorial Advisory Board, Cultural Logic: An electronic journal of Marxist theory and practice (since 1997)
- Advisory Editorial Board, Historical Materialism (since 1997)
- Co-founder of Radical Philosophy and member of editorial board (1972-2001); Book Reviews Editor (1993-8)
Also view these in the Kent Academic Repository