Professor A.Gh Podoleanu
Professor of Biomedical Optics
Head of Applied Optics Group
Ingram Building, Room 301
Telephone: (01227) 823272
Fax: 01227 827558
Adrian Podoleanu received the Ph.D. degree in Electronics from the Electronics and Telecommunications Faculty, Technical University of Bucharest, Romania in 1984. He began his career teaching at the Technical University Bucharest, Romania. As an associate professor, he taught Physics, Optics and Optoelectronics and developed research on Lasers and fast optoelectronics.
Since 2004 he is a Full Professor of Biomedical Optics in the School of Physical Sciences at the University of Kent, Canterbury, UK and heads the Applied Optics Group. His research interests focus on optical coherence tomography (OCT), imaging the eye, distance measurements using low coherence interferometry, subnanosecond dwell time multichannel digital correlation, sensing and secure optical communications. He contributed towards development of the en-face OCT imaging as a novel technology to complement the more conventional longitudinal OCT imaging, towards the dual imaging instrument for the eye, OCT/SLO and towards Fourier domain OCT with no mirror terms (using Talbot bands).
He is involved in teaching of non-invasive optical imaging methods with emphasis on OCT, Electromagnetism and Optics and Medical Physics.
• Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award, 2015;
• European Research Council, Advanced Research Fellowship, 2010-2015;
• Ambassador’s Diploma, Embassy of Romania in the UK, 24 Oct. 2009;
• Leverhulme Research Fellowship, 2004 – 2006;
• The Romanian Academy “Constantin Miculescu” prize for research in Lasers and Nonlinear Optics in 1984.
FELLOWSHIPS AND HONOURS:
· Fellow of the Institute of Physics, 2012;
· Fellow of the Optical Society of America (OSA) (for major contributions to the science and engineering of biomedical optics, including contributions to optical coherence tomography, retinal imaging and adaptive optics), 2012;
· Doctor Honoris Causa, Victor Babes University of Pharmacy and Medicine Timisoara, Romania, 26/09/2014.
· Visiting professor: New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, USA, 2008-2015;
· Visiting professor: Victor Babes University of Pharmacy and Medicine Timisoara, Romania, since 2013;
· Distinguished visitor University of Auckland, New Zealand, April 2013.
Book chapters: 13
Articles in peer reviewed journals: 187
Communications at conferences: over 590 (resulting in proceedings of or longer than 3 pages, over 270);
Patents: 20 awarded, 5 patent applications.
Invited talks and seminars: 69.
He is a member in the editorial boards of 8 journals, chaired 8 international conferences and acted as a member in the organising committees of over 40 international conferences.
He is director of Optopod Ltd, a spin-out of the University of Kent involved in spectral OCT.
• Biomedical Research Centre, University College London, Institute of Ophthalmology and Moorfields Eye Hospital;