Organise your references with this open source reference management tool
FunctionalityZotero makes referencing your work quick, easy, intuitive and fun. This user-friendly, open-source reference management tool has desktop, web and mobile interfaces, and your libraries sync easily between devices. It is free to use and you can upgrade its storage at a cost.
Zotero enables you to manage your references, insert citations and generate bibliographies. You can export data easily, including via web links, and create groups to share and update libraries. Additional functionality includes searchable tags and optional plug-ins, e.g. to scan ISBN barcodes with your iOS device.
A simplified online version of Zotero called ZoteroBib is also available, which can be used for short undergraduate assignments. However, it is advisable to download and register with Zotero for longer pieces of work such as dissertations and theses. Learn more about why to choose Zotero.
Tips for using this tool at Kent
- Download Zotero to your PC, tablet or phone or use it via a web browser
- Import references and whole reading lists in seconds via the Zotero Connector browser plug-in
- Find your referencing style
- Carry on using Zotero when you leave the University - you don't have to migrate your content
Help & how to get started
- Download Zotero and the Zotero Connector from the Zotero website
- If you already have an account, log in to Zotero
- Use ZoteroBib to get started with your first bibliography
- Zotero online guides
- Install Zotero
- Create folders and sub-folders (YouTube)
- Add references:
- Edit references (YouTube)
- Make your own notes (YouTube)
- Add reference styles (YouTube)
- Insert references in your work (YouTube)
- Zotero is free by default and provides 300 MB free space
- For additional storage you can upgrade for a monthly cost
- None found