Improve the readibility of documents
Immersive reader is part of Microsoft apps such as Teams, Edge, Word etc.
Its features help you read documents in a way that can improve your reading speed and comprehension:
- alter font size and style: alter spacing of words and sentences
- change background colours
- listen to text read aloud while reading: customise the voice and playback speed
- highlight each word as it's spoken: this helps with reading speed and comprehension
- turn on and customise a reading ruler
- view text in other languages: toggle between English and another language
- identify nouns, verbs and adjectives and see dictionary definitions.
It really does have features that can benefit everyone.
Tips for using this tool at Kent
- You need to download Microsoft Office 365 which is free for staff and students
- Microsoft Office 365 is available on all staff and student campus PCs. If not found, contact the IT Service Desk
When viewing a document in OneDrive: click the ellipsis (...) Open > Open with Immersive Reader
When using Word online (in a web browser): click View in the top menu to see the Immersive Reader link.
Help & how to get started
- What is Immersive Reader? Microsoft Video
- Use Immersive Reader for OneNote
- Short overview of Immersive Reader (YouTube)
Immersive reader is free to use through your '@kent.ac.uk' email account. As it is a web app you don't need to install anything.
Office 365 can be used for personal and professional use as long as you're a member of the University