Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
Kent is judged to have world-leading research in all subjects submitted in the REF 2014.
We are ranked 17th in the UK for research intensity*, taking into account the proportion of research staff submitted.
- We submitted 85% of our research staff for the REF, the 13th highest proportion submitted overall.
- 15 out of our 23 submissions were ranked in their subject's top 20 for research intensity.
97% of Kent’s research is of international quality, up from 87% in 2008.
- The percentage of Kent’s research deemed to be world-leading or internationally excellent is 73%, up from 55% in 2008.
Kent’s score for research power increased by 59%, the third largest increase of the top 50 research intensive universities.
- Kent has increased the number of its research active staff by 40% since 2008.
Contributing to the University’s REF success were:
- the number of our world class publications
- the number of research active staff
- the demonstrable impact our research has made to the sciences and to economic, social and cultural understanding
The REF also endorsed Kent’s research community: all our academic schools provide an environment that is conducive to research of international excellence.
* of 122 universities not including specialist institutions; rankings are taken from the Times Higher Education, Jan 2015.