Here if you need us: getting support

Everyone adjusts to university life differently and from time to time, you may feel you need some additional help. Here's an overview of the academic and personal support services available to you.

Academic support

The Student Learning Advisory Service (SLAS) 

SLAS provides a huge range of academic advice and guidance, which is available to you at any stage of your studies (from Access to PhD):

  • Online Bitesize skills development workshops and numeracy and statistics workshops
  • One-to-one appointments on all aspects of academic study e.g. study skills, assignment development, presentations, revision and exam techniques
  • Maths, financial maths and stats clinics
  • Wide range of online study guides (webpages and videos)

Student reps

You can contact your Student Rep regarding any issues relating to your course or studies. 

Connect with your mentor

Academic Peer Mentoring (APM) partners current students with new students to help support their learning. Mentors give advice on good study strategies, course content, practical tips for student life and anything in between! APM operates in participating schools and is co-ordinated by the Student Learning Advisory Service (SLAS)

Your academic adviser

You'll be assigned an academic adviser who can provide personalised one-to-one academic advice and guidance throughout your studies. They can advise on module choices, signpost you to the different learning support services, and help you review your progress.

How to find your adviser

Log in to your online student record and go to the menu item 'My details and study' and click on 'My details'. You academic adviser is listed near the bottom of your screen as your 'Tutor'.

Academic office hours

All academic staff have regular office hours where you can either drop in or make an appointment to discuss topics raised in lectures/seminars, your progress, or any concerns you may have. Times will be made available by your academic school.

Disability support

It's important to let us know about any support needs you have, even if you feel you don't need any help just yet. The earlier you register with the Student Support and Wellbeing Service, the quicker we can support you if you need it in the future.

IT and Library support

Find help and advice for using library services, setting up your devices and accessing IT facilities and software: our IT and Library for students page has all you need to know. Our extensive digital library is there to support you, so you don’t always need to visit the Library building to access the resources you need.

Get in touch

Contact our IT and Library Support Desk:

As you get into your studies, our subject librarian team can help you navigate and make the most of the huge range of library resources on offer.

Student Advice Centre

Kent Union and The Hub run independent Advice Centres for students, offering free, confidential advice on a range of issues, finance, housing, visas as well as academic advice. Drop-in sessions and appointments are available every day with highly qualified and experienced advisors.

Not getting on with your house/flatmates?

College and Community Life Team

You can speak to the team if you're experiencing any problems with non-academic related matters. They can offer advice, help and support and are a first point of contact when you need assistance of any kind. All matters are dealt with in confidence. Visit the College and Community Life website for further information.

Not happy with your room?

There can be a number of reasons why you may want to change rooms after settling in, from financial to personal reasons. 

We want our students living on campus to enjoy their experience as much as possible, and while many of you will be happy with the room you’re living in there will be some of you who are not. This is why we facilitate a room move or room swap programme from November onwards.

All room moves or swaps must be authorised through the Accommodation Office, and if you're thinking of applying, make sure you've read our guidance first.  

  • Reasons for moving that involve disputes or complaints with neighbours  should first of all be directed to the College Life Officers.
  • Reasons for changing that involve housekeeping or maintenance problems must be directed to the Housekeeping department in the first instance.

Living on campus

Your accommodation team is on hand to help with everything from housekeeping to lost fobs. Contact the team direct, or check out the Living on Campus pages for more details: 

College and Community Life Team

If you're living on the Canterbury campus or at Pier Quays in Medway, you can talk to the team if you're experiencing any issues or contact the accommodation office for general accommodation-related enquiries.

Buddy Scheme

Excited about starting at Kent but wish you had someone to show you the ropes? Kent Unions’ Buddy Scheme could be just what you need, and is available virtually too. It matches you with a current student, based on your preferences such as your course, interests, hobbies and language.

Your buddy can help you connect with others, is someone to talk about student life at Kent and can help recommend things to get involved in. The more you share about your likes and dislikes, the better Buddy match we can find you

Looking after your mental health

It's ok to feel out of place, especially in a different environment with people you’ve never met before, in very unusual circumstances. You might feel homesick or lonely at first, but these feelings should pass as you adjust to university life and start establishing a routine.

If you don't start to feel better, you might find it helpful to talk things through with our Wellbeing team of counsellors, advisors and student mentors. You can also get support from the students' union advice centre Seeking help will never be viewed as a weakness, and we have experienced and specially trained advisers who understand the pressures of student life.  

Last updated