Dr Penélope Pacheco-López
Associate Lecturer in Economics
School of Economics, Keynes B1.08
- +44 (0) 1227 827651
Penélope Pacheco-López holds a PhD in Economics from the University of Kent, UK, where she was a Post-Doctoral Research Associate. She has worked for the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO) as an Industrial Research Officer. She has performed consultancy work for the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), the International Trade Center (ITC), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Georgia and the Economist Intelligence Unit.
In Mexico, she taught at the Faculty of Economics of the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) and worked as a research assistant at the Center for Economic Studies of El Colegio de México. She has published on international trade and economic development topics in refereed journals such as the International Review of Applied Economics, Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, World Economy, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Investigación Económica, among others.
Penélope is a Member of the Researcher Links Social Sciences Panel, British Council.back to top
Penny's publications can also be found on RePEc.
Also view these in the Kent Academic Repository
- Trade Liberalisation and The Poverty of Nations (2008), with A P Thirlwall, UK: Edward Elgar.
- 'Contrasting the Perception and Response of Domestic Manufacturing Firms to FDI in Sub-Saharan Africa', Discussion Paper 14/10, School of Economics, University of Kent
- 'A New Interpretation of Kaldor's First Growth Law for Open Developing Economies' (2014), co-author A P Thirlwall, Review of Keynesian Economics, 2(3): 384-398.
- 'Has Trade Liberalisation in poor countries delivered the promises expected?' (2011) co-author A P Thirlwall, in Angeles Castro, Gerardo, Ignacio Perrotini-Hernández and Humberto Ríos-Bolívar (Eds), Market Liberalism, Growth, and Economic Development in Latin America, UK: Routledge.
- 'Los efectos de la liberación comercial en el crecimiento económico y la balanza de pagos en América Latina' (2009), Investigación Económica, Vol LXVIII, No 267: 13-49.
- 'Trade Liberalisation and the Trade-Off between Growth and the Balance of Payments in Latin America' (2007), co-author A P Thirlwall, International Review of Applied Economics, 21 (4): 469-490.
- 'Trade Liberalisation, the Propensity to Import and Growth in Latin America' (2006), co-author A P Thirlwall, Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, 29(1): 41-66.
- 'Testing the Balance of Payments Constrained Growth Model for the Least Developed Countries' (2005), background paper for the 2006 Least Developed Countries Report, UNCTAD.
- Mexico’s Country Report (2005), The Economist Intelligence Unit, July.
- 'Foreign Direct Investment, Exports and Imports in Mexico', (2005), World Economy, 28(8): 1157-1172.
- 'The Impact of Trade Liberalisation on Exports, Imports, the Balance of Payments and Growth: the Case of Mexico', (2005), Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, 27 (4): 595-619.
- 'El Impacto de la Política Comercial en el Crecimiento Económico de México', (2005), Economía UNAM, 4, Enero-Abril: 84-93.
- 'Trade Liberalisation in Mexico: Rhetoric and Reality' (2004), co-author A P Thirlwall, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, 229, June: 141-167.
- Teaching Manual on Balance of Payments Constrained Growth (2004), co-author A P Thirlwall, UNCTAD, Geneva.
- 'Políticas de Empleo en Economías Semi-Industrializadas' (2002), co-author J López, Revista de Economía Política, 22 (2): 102-118.
- For the Journal of Development Studies, 2006 (42) 5: 904-905. 'The Political Economy of Protection: Theory and the Chilean Experience' by Daniel Lederman (Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2005) pp 191.
- For the Journal of Development Studies, 2007 (43) 3: 592-593. 'Finance for Development, Latin America in Comparative Perspective' by Barbara Stallings with Rogerio Studart (Washington, D C: Brookings Institution Press, 2006), pp viii-316.
Papers presented at conferences
- Mexico’s Trade Liberalisation Experience: A Cautionary Tale, 'Vietnam in the Age of Globalisation: Opportunities and Challenges', University of Rouen, May 2009, Rouen, France.
- The Effects of Trade Liberalisation in Mexico, 'Globalization, Trade and Economic Growth', Università degli Studi Gabriele d’Annunzio, Facoltà di Economia, April 2008, Pescara, Italy.
- Expert Group Meeting on 'Indicators of Trade and Industry Competitiveness - Applications for TCB Analytical Work and Technical Assistance', December 2007, Vienna, Austria.
- 'UNCTAD Regional Workshop on Productive Capacities, Economic Growth and Poverty Reduction in African LDCs', February 2007, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Balance of Payments Constraints, Trade and Poverty, 'UNCTAD/World Bank Institute Training Workshop on Trade and Poverty', May 2004, Geneva, Switzerland.
- The Impact of Trade Liberalisation on Mexico's Trade and Growth, 'Mexican Society Congress 2004 at London School of Economics', May 2004, London, England.
- The Impact of Trade Liberalisation on the Trade Balance, the Balance of Payments and Economic Growth: The Case of Mexico, 'European Trade Study Group 5th Annual Conference', September 2003, Madrid, Spain.
- The Effect of Trade Reforms on Mexico's Imports, 'ECOMOD 2003 International Conference in Policy Modeling', July 2003, Istanbul, Turkey.
- The Impact of Trade Reforms on Mexico's Exports, IESG 27th Annual Conference 2002 'Human Capital, Trade & Growth', September 2002, University of Bath, England.
Penélope's research interests are on Development Economics, International Trade and Industrial Policy.
back to top
back to top
- Deputy Director of Placements (Year in Industry)