at our Open Days
Notice to all University Virtual Permit to Park users
The University of Kent permits for Staff, Students and Associates gives permission to seek for a bay to park (if space is available) and they are issued as virtual permits. This means if you have been issued with a permit to park you do not need to display the permit in your vehicle.
You must ensure that the vehicle you have parked on campus is marked as the active vehicle on your current permit before parking. If you have more than one vehicle registered; log onto your permit account, select My Permits, select the green vehicle button to go to the vehicle page and then select the correct vehicle to activate. If your permit only allows you to have one vehicle remove the old vehicle and add the current vehicle, ensuring this is ticked as the active vehicle.
Login, apply or renew your permit
Do I need a staff permit to park?
Staff permits to park give permission to seek a parking space Monday to Friday 8 am to 5 pm in accordance with the permit that has been issued. Although the University does not guarantee that space will be available, in the unlikely event that there may be a shortage of bays available the Transport Team will inform staff if there is a concern in advance if an event on campus may mean that space will be limited. You can also follow known local disruptions to see where car parks or bays are being allocated for events and visitors.
Who can apply for a staff permit to park?
All persons whose primary reason to attend the University is as an employee of the University of Kent or Kent Union and is paid via the University of Kent payroll system.
Where are staff permits to park valid for?
Staff can choose which permit would be most suitable for them.
- Canterbury pink & blue zone car parks
- Medway pink & blue zone car parks
- Canterbury & Medway pink & blue zone car parks
- Motorcycle bay only
- Government Blue Badge permit (to allow parking in accessible bays and pink and blue zone car parks)
- Health Access permit (to allow parking in accessible bays for a temporary period of time and pink and blue zone car parks). See Terms and Procedures on how to apply
- Reserved Bay permit only available for EG staff and University Council (to park in EG reserved parking bays, pink & blue zone car parks)
What permits to park are available to staff?
All staff can choose which permit would be most suitable for them and allows permission to seek a space to park Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm on campus within Pink & Blue Zone car park(s).
Season Permits to Park
Allows staff to park in pink & blue zone car parks and can be issued for the duration of:
- 12 month and charged by monthly deductions
- 3 month and charged by monthly deductions
- 1 month and charged by monthly deductions
Pay as you Go (Daily Permit to Park & vouchers)
Allows Staff to purchase a permit to park to give permission to find a space on campus in Pink & Blue zone car parks. Parking can only occur if a virtual day voucher has been purchased in advance for each day the staff member wishes to park on campus. The permits to park can be issued for the duration of:
- 12 month
- 3 month
- 1 month
Motorcycles are not allowed to be parked in any other location, except for
motorcycle bays. There is no charge for this permit.
Government Blue Badge permit
There is no charge, holders of the Government Blue Badge must obtain a permit to park and display their Blue Badge. This permit will be valid until the expiry date on your Blue Badge.
Staff Health Access permit
For staff who have a temporary restriction to being able to walk and will only be issued if you have followed the Health Access policy and the Transport Team have been advised by Occupational Health. Charges are by monthly deductions.
Reserved Bay permit
Is restricted to EG and is charged for by monthly deductions.
How much does a staff permit to park cost?
Usually charges for permits or salary deductions will rise on 01 August each year, irrespective of the duration of the permit or when it was issued.
Staff who purchase a 12, 3 or 1-month season permit are charged from their monthly salary according to their gross salary each month. Except for staff who are contracted as ‘Professorial & Senior Professional Services Staff’ who are charged according to their contract type.
|Gross monthly salary earnings||Charge price (from 01/09/23)|
|£2,083.33 or less||£4.30/month|
|£2,083.34 to £3,083.33||£7.25/month|
|£3,083.34 or above||£10.73/month|
|‘Professorial & Senior Professional Services Staff’ only||£12.00/month|
Pay as you Go
Staff who purchase a Daily Permit to Park are charged at the time of application for the permit. Staff will then need to purchase a virtual voucher in advance of parking each day they want to park.
|Duration of permit||Permit charge|
|Daily voucher charge|
How do I apply and/or login to my virtual account?
To apply for a staff permit you need to submit an online application using the Imperial LTD system, managed by the Transport Team, known as Permitsmarti.
Ensure you are familiar with the Regulations for the Management of Traffic before applying. You will need to agree to these regulations to apply for a permit.
1. Check the box to confirm that you have read and accept the terms and conditions and click ‘Sign into my account’
2. Select Permit application, apply for a permit
3. Select which permit category you are applying for (note: for Pay As You Go permits select the permit category 'Staff Daily Vouchers')
4. Select Permit Type - length of time you require permit (note: for Pay As You Go permits this section will autofill and you will need to select length of time under the section 'Issue Period')
5. Select the parking zone your permit will be valid for
6. Select the date you require your permit to start
7. Applicant details - add your daytime contact number and ensure all other personal details are completed correctly
8. State number of vehicles - staff can have up to 5 but only 1 can be activated. Provide vehicle details
9. Answer additional questions
10. Click 'Next', review answers if correct agree to accept terms and conditions
11. Click on the 'Proceed' button.
How do I cancel a Staff Permit
You can cancel your permit by completing the permit cancellation online form.
The last payment will be deducted from your salary in accordance with your gross monthly salary that your permit ceases to be active. The amount charged for the full calendar month.
Pay as you Go
Permits are not refunded, but any daily voucher purchased after the date the permit ceases to be active can be refunded to you. If you have any vouchers that have been purchased after the date the permit will cease to be active please provide the number of vouchers you have within your cancellation request.
Note if a refund is applicable, they are made within 28 days back to the card that was used to make the original payment. If the card is no longer valid - a cheque will be sent to the permit address. If you would like the refund to be sent somewhere else than the one that is registered on your parking permit account, please give an alternative postal address in your cancellation request.