Student Services

Student complaints


The University has a large community of students engaged in activities of both an academic and non-academic nature.

From time to time a student may feel dissatisfied with some aspect of their dealings with the University and when that happens it is important that the issue is investigated as quickly as possible.

The University has adopted the following definition for a student complaint from The Good Practice Framework for Handling Complaints and Appeals (December 2014), which was produced by the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education:

"An expression of dissatisfaction by one or more students about a university's action or lack of action, or about the standard of service provided by or on behalf of the university."

A student complaint might be about, for example:

  • poor quality of facilities, learning resources or services provided directly by the University
  • complaints involving other organisations or contractors providing a service on behalf of the University
  • the way a student has been treated by a member of staff

An academic complaint is any specific concern about the provision of a programme of study or related academic service.

A general complaint about an academic matter (e.g. a particular module) should be referred to the Academic School staff / Student Liaison Committee in the first instance.


University of Kent - © University of Kent

The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T: +44 (0)1227 764000

Last Updated: 24/05/2019