Max Tyler was the archivist (between 1984-2012) and historian (between 1993-2016) of the British Music Hall Society. He wrote regularly for ‘The Stage’ and ‘The Call Boy’, the magazine of the British Music Hall Society, and was co-editor of ‘Music Hall Studies’.
Max looked after the British Music Hall Society’s own large archive of theatrical memorabilia but built up a substantial personal collection of books, ephemera, research notes, and audio-visual recordings relating to the British Music Hall tradition, with material spanning from the late nineteenth century to the early 21st century.
Contains material including:
- original and copies of Music Hall song sheets
- song sheets and scripts for musical comedies
- music hall programmes
- 20th century music hall and vaudeville magazines and periodicals
- music hall audio recordings on cassette, CD, shellac discs, and reel-to-reel tapes
- published books on music hall, and music hall performers
- research notes
Collection in brief
Contents: books, song sheets, research files, audio recordings, programmes and playbills
Period: 19th - 21st century