Cherry blossom

Information for students from Japan

The University of Kent is a popular destination for students from Japan. Japanese students study a variety of programmes from foundation and JYA English PLUS to PhD level.

treasure hunt video

Notable Kent alumni

Kazuo Ishiguro


BA English and Philosophy (Darwin 1974)

Kazuo Ishiguro is one of the most celebrated contemporary fiction authors in the English-speaking world, having received four Man Booker Prize nominations, and winning the 1989 prize for his novel The Remains of the Day. In October 2017, he won the Nobel Prize in Literature. In awarding the prize the judges praised his novels for their 'great emotional force' and the way in which his work has 'uncovered the abyss beneath our illusory sense of connection with the world'.

What our students say

Isamu Amir

MA Science Communication

"Studying at Kent was full of joy. My lecturers and supervisors were gentle and humble. They pointed out critical points during lectures and gave us advice and supporting texts throughout the course period. Although I was not a native English speaker, they patiently paid attention to listen to what I wanted to communicate. They were an important part of my life and I still keep in touch with them".

"The atmosphere was quiet and made it easy to concentrate on reading books, writing essays and considering themes discussed in lectures. Thanks to Kent's one-year scholarship for foreign students, I was able to study without heavy tuition loads, which helped my parents as well. In addition, English in-sessional modules helped me learn the English language and become a better writer".

"I had great opportunities to experience British culture during my stay in Canterbury. Taking a walk from campus to city centre or around the wall and watching beautiful scenery go by, visiting Canterbury Cathedral and seeing the long history of Britain, having pints of tasty beer at pubs and enjoying chatting with my friends, and receiving hospitality from Canterbury citizens, I have so many wonderful memories. Thanks to my time at Kent, I was able to make a lot of friends from all over the world and I still keep in touch with them."

"Without my experiences at Kent, it would not have been possible for me to have my current position as project researcher at University of Tokyo. I feel that every step in my life and career is continuously connected and comes from my experiences at Kent".

Entry requirements

At Kent we consider all applications on their individual merit and welcome students from Japan with a wide variety of qualifications and experience. Please note that some departments may have slightly different entry criteria.

If you have any specific queries or questions please contact us at

Foundation programme

Students who have successfully completed their Kotougakkou Sotsugyou Shomeisho (Upper Secondary School Leaving Certificate) with a final grade of at least 3.5/5, 7/10 or equivalent are eligible to apply for our foundation programmes.

We offer two types of foundation programme which enable progression onto a wide range of our undergraduate degrees: the International Foundation Programme (IFP) and 4-year integrated programmes which include a foundation year:

  • The International Foundation Programme (IFP) is for international students whose school-leaving qualifications are insufficient for direct entry to undergraduate study and/or whose English language standard is below the necessary level. The IFP gives you a year’s preparation in academic subjects, English language and study skills up to the required level for progression onto undergraduate degree study. The IFP is delivered at our Canterbury campus by University of Kent academics and successful completion of the programme provides entry into a wide range of Bachelor degrees in our faculties of Humanities, Social Sciences and Sciences. We offer September and February start dates depending on your chosen pathway and the degree you intend to progress on to.
  • We offer 4-year integrated programmes which include a foundation year in Actuarial Science, Chemistry, Computer Systems Engineering, Electronic and Communications Engineering, Forensic Science, Mathematics, Pharmacology and Physiology, and Physics. These are designed for students with acceptable English language ability but school-leaving qualifications below the level required for direct entry to an undergraduate degree. Entry to these foundation programmes may require you to have studied specific subjects at high school.

Please note: you only need to take a foundation programme if your qualifications are not suitable for your chosen degree.

JYA English PLUS

JYA English PLUS has been designed to meet the needs of students whose first language is not English. It offers a combination of language training, study skills and the opportunity to study academic modules from across the University. The programme is offered in two different lengths – a full year or part year – and is taught on our Canterbury campus, a safe, self-contained environment with everything you need for a good academic and social life. Find out more...


To be considered for entry to Year 1 of a Kent undergraduate degree programme, Japanese students typically need to have completed one of the following:

  • One year of a Bachelor degree (Gakushi) at a recognised Japanese university with an average grade of B/70%, or a GPA of 3.0/4.0
  • Associate Degree (Jun-gakushi)/Vocational/Specialist Degree (Senmon-shi) from a recognised college in Japan with a final grade of B/70% or a GPA of 3.0/4.0

US qualifications

If you are studying, or have studied, US qualifications such as SATs, ACTs, Advanced Placement tests or an Associate Degree, please see our USA country page for details of the US qualifications we accept.

International Baccalaureate, European Baccalaureate and A levels

If you are studying, or have studied, the International Baccalaureate, European Baccalaureate, or A levels please see our General entry requirements for details.

We have a standard International Baccalaureate Diploma offer of 34 points across all programmes of study including any specific subjects at higher or standard level required by the particular degree programme. As an alternative to achieving 34 points, for most programmes, the University will also make IB students the offer of passing the IB Diploma with specific achievement in higher/standard level subjects. 

IB Career-related Programme (IBCP)

The University welcomes applications from students taking the IB Career-related Programme (IBCP). We do not make standard offers for this qualification, however we are happy to advise prospective students based on the component IB courses they are taking as part of the IBCP. For specific advice on grade requirements, please contact us listing the IB courses and additional courses you are taking.

Contact us

If you have questions about which qualifications we will accept, please email for information on our entry requirements and details of how to apply.

Second year entry

Students with very high grades in their Associate Degree (Jun-gakushi)/Vocational/Specialist Degree (Senmon-shi) may be considered for 2nd year entry to a Kent undergraduate programme on a case-by-case basis, if they have studied similar content to Year 1 of the relevant Kent degree.


For entry to a Kent postgraduate degree programme (Master’s), Japanese students typically need to have completed a Bachelor Degree (Gakushi) from a recognised Japanese institution. Exact requirements will depend on the postgraduate degree you are applying for and the institution you have studied at.

  • For programmes that require a 2:1 we usually ask for a final GPA of 3.2/4.0, a B+ or 75%. Students from highly ranked institutions may be accepted with a GPA of 3.0/4, 70% or B.
  • For programmes that require a 2:2 we usually ask for a final GPA of 3.0/4.0, B or 70%.

Some, but not all, postgraduate programmes require your undergraduate degree to have a related major. Some postgraduate programmes may require work experience in a relevant field or at a certain level.


For details of our MBA programme, please see the MBA course page.


For entry to a Kent PhD programme, Japanese students typically need to have completed a Master’s Degree (Shushi) at a recognised institution with a final grade of at least B+/75% or a GPA of 3.2/4.0. Students need to have completed a thesis as part of their Master’s or be able to show other evidence of previous research experience.

If you would like to pursue a PhD at Kent, you should visit the relevant department website and our find a supervisor page to identify potential supervisors for your research and thesis. You are encouraged to then make direct contact with the appropriate academic to discuss your research proposal.


English language requirements

Applicants will also need to meet University of Kent's standard English language requirements. These are set at a level that meets both the academic needs of the University and the minimum requirements for a Tier 4 (General) student visa.

Applicants for the International Foundation Programme or pre-sessional English programmes are required to have a UKVI recognised SELT (Secure English Language Test). These must be taken at one of the UKVI approved test centres.

Applicants for postgraduate programmes who have studied to at least Bachelor’s degree level entirely in the medium of English or who have worked in an English speaking environment may be considered for exemption from standard English language requirements on a case-by-case basis.  A letter confirming the medium of instruction of English will be required.

Pre-sessional courses in English for Academic Purposes (EAP)

If you need to raise your English language skills, you can attend one of our intensive pre-sessional courses in English for Academic Purposes. Satisfactory achievement on one of these courses can be used to meet Kent's English language entry requirements in place of other external language examinations.

Fees and funding

Tuition fees

For the latest details on fees, see our course fees look-up table.


The University offers a wide variety of financial support and scholarships, including awards for academic, musical and sporting excellence. Scholarships include our International scholarships for undergraduate students and International Scholarship for Taught Masters Students.

For details of all the scholarships available, please use our scholarship finder.

Postgraduate Taught tuition fee deposit scheme for international-fee paying applicants

A deposit payment of £2,000 is required to secure your acceptance of an offer for a Postgraduate Taught programme at Kent. This deposit will be deducted from the overall tuition fee you are required to pay at enrolment.

We advise early payment of the deposit, and the final deadlines for us to receive your tuition fee deposit are:

  • Postgraduate Taught Master's with a September start date: 1 July
  • Postgraduate Taught Master's with a January start date: 1 December

The University reserves the right to withdraw your offer if the tuition fee deposit is not received by the relevant deadline. If this occurs, your application will only be re-instated subject to receipt of the deposit and places being available on your chosen course. If you are offered a place after the given deadline, an immediate deposit payment will be required to secure your place.

If you require a CAS for visa purposes, this will not be issued until the depositve that has been received for your chosen course.

Please note: The deposit is only applicable to postgraduate programmes that start in the UK. A deposit is not required for postgraduate programmes that are taught exclusively at our centres in Brussels and Paris.


The University will consider deferral requests for postgraduate applicants for up to one year if they have fully met the conditions of offer and have paid the fee deposit. 

Further information

For full terms and conditions, including details of our deposit refund policy and application deferrals, please visit our Online Store. If you have any questions about the deposit scheme, please contact the Admissions Team via your online application portal or email

How to apply

Undergraduate applicants

Full-time courses

If you are from the UK or Ireland, you have to apply through UCAS

If you meet the following conditions, you may choose to apply through UCAS or directly on our website:

  1. You are NOT from the UK or Ireland.
  2. You do NOT pay home fee (i.e. you pay international or special EU fee)
  3. You have never used UCAS AND you do not intend to use UCAS in the future

 Please remember if you are eligible and intend to apply directly on our website, you should NOT use UCAS at any point. Submitting your application to both UCAS and our website will cause issues to your application.

Our dedicated international team are here to help support you through the application process. Please do get in touch if you require any advice or support. 

Special courses

If you are applying for a subject-specific foundation programme, you apply in the same way as for a three-year undergraduate degree.

Applications for our International Foundation Programme (IFP) can be made:

Part-time courses

Apply directly on our website.

Apply via our representatives

International students can also apply with the assistance of one of Kent's overseas representatives.

Late applications
A process called 'Clearing' takes place in July and August, running from 1st July annually. We will provide an updated list of all of the Kent degrees that still have places available once Clearing opens – this can give you another chance to apply. For more information on how the Clearing process works and how to apply, please see Clearing at Kent for details.

Postgraduate applicants

See how to apply for postgraduate study.

Important dates
  • For international students, the deadline for applications to taught Master's programmes is 31 July.
  • Although there is no fixed closing deadline for applications to the majority of our research degrees*, we strongly recommend that you apply as soon as possible; no later than three months before your intended start date. The University has three PhD entry dates during the academic year: September, January and May. Entry to a Master’s by Research is in September only.

*Applications to PhD degrees for Kent Business School have a deadline of 31 July.

Contact us

If you have any questions about applying to Kent, please contact us.


Our representatives in Japan

We make regular visits to our representatives’ offices to keep their staff up to date on University developments and advise prospective students on study opportunities. Whilst it is not compulsory, we do encourage you to consult a local representative. Their experienced staff will guide you on the best choice of course and provide you with practical advice on your application.

Find a representative near you:

Office location Representatives
London (UK)
Oxford (UK)
NCUK offer training courses and consultation in preparation for university. For details of centres in this country, please see the NCUK website

Student immigration

With effect from Monday 20th May 2019 travellers from the following countries will be able to use eGates:

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • New Zealand
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • USA

Nationals from these countries entering the UK either as a visitor or as a Tier 4 student, will no longer be required to speak to a Border Force Officer on entry to the UK.

Visitors and Tier 4 students who use the eGates will not receive a stamp in their passport. A visitor is someone who is entering the UK primarily as a tourist. If you are coming to the UK to study for less than 6 months, you would not be classed as a visitor but as a Short-term student.

If you are a:

  • Tier 4 student (from the countries above) you can use the eGates but you must retain evidence of your boarding pass as the University will request to see a copy of this when registering you as a student.
  • Short-term student DO NOT USE THE eGATES. You must speak to a Border Force Officer in order to obtain a short-term study stamp in your passport. If you do use the eGates, the University will not be able to register you as you will not be able to study for longer than 30 days. You must therefore leave the Common Travel Area (UK, Ireland, Crown Dependencies) and seek re-entry in the correct category via a Border Force officer before we can register you on your programme. Please ensure you have a copy of the ‘Request for a passport stamp’ visual aid to show the officer upon arrival.

For further information, please visit our Student Immigration site.

Further information from the UK Border Force is also available in this translated animated video:


Country news

British Council pre-departure briefing: 10 June 2018

The British Council Japan will be staging a Pre-Departure Briefing in Tokyo on the 10th June for students planning to study in the UK from this autumn. This will be a great opportunity for incoming students to get some advice on their final preparations before flying out to the UK. Find out more... 

Creative industries roadshow

In March 2018, Kent will take part in the British Council’s Creative Industries Roadshow in East Asia, showcasing study and career options in architecture, design and the arts. The Roadshow includes events in Tokyo, Hong Kong and Seoul. Find out more…

Proud of our alumni: Kazuo Ishiguro

Did you know that celebrated author, and winner of the Man Booker Prize, Kazuo Ishiguro is a Kent graduate? Find out more...

New Japanese website

Our new Japanese website has just launched – see