Over the past thirty five years, strong bilateral links with institutions across Europe, established through student and staff mobility agreements, have broadened to form consortia; close groupings of institutions with the common objective of opening up opportunities for inter-institutional cooperation: exchange of best practice; capacity building, internationalisation of the curricula, and joint initiatives covering both research and teaching. The University has been part of the European Commission’s Erasmus programme since its inception in 1987; an engagement that has facilitated the University’s collaboration with a large number of prestigious Higher Education Institutions in mainland Europe
Kent currently has 207 partner universities in Europe, 11 of which rank in the world’s top 100 universities (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2016-17). To find out which Universities they are, see our international partnerships map.
In 2017/18, 221 students took part in a study exchange, work placement or language assistantship in Europe, and we welcomed 302 students from our European partner universities who came to study with us for a term or a year. The European centres hold regular engagement events for alumni, academic collaboratos and friends of the University. The University also regulary visits many European countries to promote our programmes and research opportunities.
Our European pledge
Objective: Champion and extend the University's unique position as the UK's European university
As the UK's European university, we pledge to:
- continue to develop our European centres as gateway to the wider world
- monitor, review and develop current European focused programmes
- increase European Doctoral collaborations (cotutelles)
- explore further the potential for the creation of additional strategic partnerships in Europe
- build on our position in Europe as the gateway to the wider world
- maintain, and where possible, increase mobility opportunities for students and staff
- engage further with European alumni groups
- participate actively in European networks and initiatives in order to harness the benefits to our provision and our European focus