On Wednesday 6th November 2013, the University of Kent launched the Kent Law Campaign to the public at a gala evening at 30 St Mary Axe (The Gherkin). The Kent Law Campaign is an exciting £5million fundraising project to build a new home for the Kent Law Clinic and our Mooting Programme and each donation we raise will be matched pound for pound by the University. We have already raised £3.4million in donations, pledges and the University's match and are continuing to seek support from individuals, Trusts and Foundations and companies.
Construction of the new building will commence in June 2014 and Kent Law School staff and students will move in during November 2015 to coincide with our 50th Anniversary celebrations.
The Law Clinic's current facilities are in desperate need of expansion and modernisation so that our students can meet the increasing demand of the local community. It is rapidly approaching the point where its physical structure is no longer facilitating the high expectations and standards required by the students and staff to perform their pro bono work. The Mooting Programme is similarly hampered by its lack of any proper 'home' and many students are unable to attend to observe and learn from the moots as there is little viewing space available.
Without dedicated and properly equipped accommodation for both the Law Clinic and Mooting Programme, KLS will simply not be able to:
- meet increasing student demand for what are undoubtedly hugely beneficial educational opportunities;
- continue to meet the needs of the local community by providing free legal advice to those who cannot afford access to legal services;
- provide Clinic staff and students with the high standard of working conditions which they and their clients deserve;
- retain its leading role in clinical legal education;
- exploit fully the competitive and educational advantages which the Clinic and Mooting could offer students.