Planning your journey
Adverse weather - be prepared
Remember weather can change at any time, be prepared for this before you leave. Please ensure you are familiar with the University's 'Pay during periods of severe weather conditions/ major transport disruption' policy and procedure to understand what to do during adverse weather. Learn more about gritting and snow clearing on campus.
Ensure that you and your vehicle are prepared for driving in adverse weather conditions. Read some top tips to prepare for driving during the winter and don’t forget to plan your journey before you leave so you are aware of any disruptions.
Public transport, cycling and walking
- Plan your journey, check if there are problems on public transport or local roads
- Delay your journey, if possible, to allow temperatures to rise and ice or snow to melt
- Avoid footways in the shade. It takes longer for ice or snow to melt in the shade
- Always wear appropriate footwear and warm, reflective/bright clothing
- Ensure that you have a torch or lights so motorists and others can see you when walking or cycling
We recommend you check with your public transport provider before you travel. We have provided useful links below to help you plan your journey.
For national journey planners, see below. For local journey planners and transport updates click on the relevant tab. Make sure to check our travel discounts page to see if you could save money on your journey.
Google maps allows you to plan your journey by public transport, walking or by car. Using street view will allow you to look around and familiarise yourself with the surroundings, you can even view bus stops and make interactive journeys!
Traveline finds routes and times for a selection of public transport and walking journeys.
Moovit is a free Smartphone app allowing you to plan and check the status of your journey on public transport.