Go Abroad

Costs and funding

Before you accept a placement, you must make sure you have sufficient funds available to support yourself throughout the time abroad. Please also be aware that you may incur some non-refundable costs (e.g. visa application) even if your placement does not go ahead; for example if you do not meet the grade requirements.


All year abroad students are required to register for free travel and personal accident insurance arranged by the University of Kent with leading travel insurer Chubb Insurance. Students will recieve instructions how to register for this a few months before going abroad.

N.B. In the case of the USA, the approved insurance policy may not cover all expenses incurred, e.g. for counselling or regular blood tests or medical treatment, so students must be prepared to cover those costs themselves. In serious cases, costs could reach tens of thousands of dollars.

As part of registering for cover, students will need to complete the online travel notification form no later than 10 working days before leaving. Details on the full benefits available to you can be found on the University's Travel Insurance webpage.Students should keep the Chubb emergency assistance number in a safe place, ready for use in an emergency.


Study abroad

Explore study abroad destinations


Work abroad

Discover opportunities to work abroad


Summer Schools abroad

Try out a summer school overseas

International Partnerships

The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T: +44 (0)1227 824191

Last Updated: 05/09/2019