If your home university has an exchange agreement with the University of Kent (see Exchange Partners) then please liaise directly with its study abroad office when you apply. We can only accept applications for our exchange programmes from students who have been formally nominated by their home university.

If your university does not currently have an agreement with Kent, we consider direct applications for short-term study. Please bear in mind it is your responsibility to liaise with your home institution about transferring credits for your study at Kent.

Eligibility criteria

The standard academic requirement is a GPA of 3.0 or above (out of 4.0) or equivalent. However, each application is considered on an individual basis.

English Language requirements

If you are a non-native English speaker, you must provide official evidence of your current English language level. 

If you will study at Kent for 6 months' or longer, you must do this by submitting an approved English Language Test certificate which meets the specified grades and is less than two years old as of your expected start date. This is a requirement for the Student Visa.

Please see our English Language Requirements for details of approved tests and grade requirements.


Apply for an exchange or for short-term studies outside an exchange using our online application form:

Application checklist

During the online application process, you will need to upload the following documents:

  • full certified transcripts of your academic achievements and results to date from your home institution. This should be the official transcript, signed and/or stamped by your university;
  • provisional module registration form or Erasmus Learning Agreement
  • a copy of your passport;
  • for non-native English speakers, approved English Language certificate (see Eligibility criteria section)

It is not essential to upload a CV. 

Other documents

If you are coming to Kent on an Architecture exchange or if you wish to take Graphic Design modules, you will be asked to submit a portfolio of your work. This will help the School to identify which modules are suitable for you. 

If you wish to continue studying another language whilst at Kent, e.g. French, Japanese etc, please upload evidence of your current level in that language in your application.    

Application deadlines

Start of study period at Kent Application deadline
September arrival (for Autumn Term or one academic year) 15 June
January arrival (for Spring Term or Spring and Summer Terms) 15 November
JYA English PLUS full year or part year 11 April

Visa and immigration

Visit the UK Government visa website to check if you will need a visa to study in the UK. 

If you will need a Student Visa to study in the UK, the University will issue you with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Study (CAS) for use in your Student Visa application after the University has confirmed that you meet the visa requirements and you have accepted the offer of a place here.

Important note

The Short-Term Study visa is NOT appropriate for you. It is only for students coming to the UK for an English Language course at a language school/provider. 

You will not be able to register at the University of Kent with a Short-Term Study Visa. 

Please see our Student Immigration website for further information.  

Tuition fees and costs

Tuition fees

If you are coming to Kent through an exchange agreement, the tuition fees are normally waived as part of the agreement.

If you are coming to Kent outside an exchange, or as part of a fee-paying arrangement, you can find details of the current fee information on the Student Finance website.

Other living costs

Each individual student has different circumstances, so to help you estimate your living costs we provide an online calculator.

Erasmus interns/trainees

Due to visa constraints, we cannot accept requests for Erasmus+ internship/traineeship. 

If you are coming to Kent on a student exchange, please note that we are not able to arrange internships or traineeships for you. If you are in the UK on a Student Visa, you must undertake full-time study at Kent, ie 120 credits (60 ECTS). 


If you wish to undertake research at Kent under the title of an Erasmus internship/traineeship, you may apply as a Visiting Student. This is not considered an internship by Kent.

Visiting students are registered as a student at Kent, and enter the country either through the Standard Visitor route (for stays of 6 months or less) or with a Student Visa. 

Last updated