Research and innovation
In order to raise all our research to the level of our best, increase research intensity and our reputation and profile, we will take the following actions:
- Identify and invest in a number of signature research areas and themes that represent the very best of our work, address global challenges and can be used to raise the profile of Kent and research and innovation at Kent.
- Adopt a ‘researcher developer’ approach, to identify and support individuals and research groups to deliver significantly high quality outputs and impact and generate income with the potential to be the next signature area.
- Increase our external income for research and innovation. While recognising disciplinary differences, we will intensify support to increase our external research income generation to at least that of our peer group.
- We will ensure successful delivery of our two research ‘super centres’ which support our ambitions to grow and deepen our science base – the Institute for Biotechnology and Molecular Medicine (IBaMM) and the Centre for Studies in Cyber Security and Conflict (SoCyETAL).
- Focus support for building excellent research across the university, supporting careers and professional development across the academic life-cycle, from postgraduate to professor.
- Expand and grow our community of Postgraduate Researchers.
- Support and incentivise international collaborations and networks.