This module is an advanced treatment of current topics and debates in evolutionary anthropology including those in anthropological genetics, palaeoanthropology, evolutionary psychology, bioarchaeology, cultural evolution and primatology. The module will help students understand the role of research and publication in anthropological science. Students will be exposed to a broad series of topics, opinions, methodologies and journals.
This module appears in the following module collections.
11 x 2 Hour Seminars
Programmes of study to which the module contributes:
BSc in Biological Anthropology, BSc in Anthropology, BSc in Medical Anthropology
Method of assessment
The reading list for this module will change from year to year. It will contain the most up to date, controversial topics in a variety of fields associated with anthropological science.
Articles will be drawn from the following journals and other relevant sources where appropriate:
Nature, Science, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA), Proceedings of the Royal Society, Journal of Human Evolution, Evolutionary Anthropology, Current Anthropology, American Journal of Physical Anthropology, PLoS ONE, Evolution and Human Behaviour, Journal of Archaeological Science etc.
See the library reading list for this module (Canterbury)
Students will gain:
1. Knowledge and understanding of theoretical concerns and new research in scientific and evolutionary anthropology
2. The ability to critically evaluate new research in anthropological science
3. An in-depth understanding of the internal workings of the research and publishing process in anthropological science
Back to top
Credit level 6. Higher level module usually taken in Stage 3 of an undergraduate degree.
- ECTS credits are recognised throughout the EU and allow you to transfer credit easily from one university to another.
- The named convenor is the convenor for the current academic session.
University of Kent makes every effort to ensure that module information is accurate for the relevant academic session and to provide educational services as described. However, courses, services and other matters may be subject to change. Please read our full disclaimer.