International Conflict and Cooperation - PO660

Location Term Level Credits (ECTS) Current Convenor 2017-18 2018-19
Canterbury Autumn
View Timetable
5 15 (7.5) DR N Ansorg

Pre-requisites

PO325 Introduction to Conflict Analysis and Resolution is a recommended (but not required) pre-requisite module.

Restrictions

None

2017-18

Overview

The course provides an overview of the broad field of international conflict analysis and resolution. Students have the opportunity to explore the motivations driving different forms of conflict, including interpersonal, group and civil violence. Students will also be exposed to a range of theories and approaches used to understand violent conflict, and a number of different methods of conflict resolution (e.g. negotiation, mediation, peacekeeping operations, and transitional justice.) The approach is interdisciplinary and juxtaposes traditional approaches used to study conflict management with new scientific studies of conflict and cooperation.

Details

This module appears in:


Contact hours

11 lectures, 11 seminars

Method of assessment

50% coursework (one individual essay (2,500 words) OR one collaborative essay in a group of two students (3,000 words combined contribution) (35%), bi-weekly reading quiz, 5 in total, (15%)), 50% exam (2hr)

Preliminary reading

Ramsbotham, O; H. Miall & T. Woodhouse. (2016). Contemporary Conflict Resolution: The Prevention, Management and Transformation of Deadly Conflicts, Cambridge: Polity. (4th Edition).
Barash, D. and C. Webel. (2013). Peace and Conflict Studies, 3rd ed, Thousand Oaks, Sage Publications.
Bercovitch, J. and R. Jackson (2009). Conflict Resolution in the 21st century: Principles, Methods, and Approaches. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.

See the library reading list for this module (Canterbury)

See the library reading list for this module (Medway)

Learning outcomes

On successful completion of the module, students will be able to:
- Understand and critically assess various definitions of conflict.
- Present a basic understanding of various approaches to the analysis of international conflict.
- Appreciate the diverse range of methods used to study international conflict and conflict resolution, in particular the scientific approach.
- Understand the diverse views on conflict resolution.
- Critically analyse the strengths and weaknesses of different conflict resolution approaches.
- Apply knowledge gained in the module to cases of international conflict.

University of Kent makes every effort to ensure that module information is accurate for the relevant academic session and to provide educational services as described. However, courses, services and other matters may be subject to change. Please read our full disclaimer.