This module is concerned with a range of topics in video game design and development, including game physics, AI, level design, player behaviour, game rules and mechanics, as well as user interfaces. This module introduces students to game development using industry-standard software tools.
Total contact hours: 30
Private study hours:120
Total hours: 150
Method of assessment
Main assessment methods; 100% Coursework eg:
(20%) Workshop exercises – mini game development
(60%) Video game design and development – a fully functioning game prototype
(20%) Video presentation – a short video on game design reflection
Lintrami, T (2017) Unity 2017 Game Development Essentials - Third Edition, Packt Publishing
Thorn A (2017) Mastering Unity 2017 Game Development with C# - Second Edition: Create professional games with solid gameplay features and professional-grade workflow, Packt Publishing
Salen K. and Zimmerman E. (2003) Rules of Play: Game Design Fundamentals. MIT Press, ISBN-13: 978-0262240451
Crawford, C (1984) The Art of Computer Game Design ASIN: B0052QA5WU
See the library reading list for this module (Canterbury)
On successfully completing the module students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a thorough understanding of game design theory and creative practice in the field of computer game development
2. Understand and apply principles of computer game design workflow to the production of a game
3. Critically analyse technical and usability issues associated with games design and development.
Back to top
Credit level 6. Higher level module usually taken in Stage 3 of an undergraduate degree.
- ECTS credits are recognised throughout the EU and allow you to transfer credit easily from one university to another.
- The named convenor is the convenor for the current academic session.
University of Kent makes every effort to ensure that module information is accurate for the relevant academic session and to provide educational services as described. However, courses, services and other matters may be subject to change. Please read our full disclaimer.