The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
HEALTH, SAFETY AND ENVIRONMENT CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE (HSECC)
Chair [2011/12] Dr Jonathan Friday
Director of Human Resources, Margaret Ayers (or nominee)
Director of Student Services, tbc (or nominee)
Kent Hospitality, David Jordan
Estates, Robert King
Medway, Lee Montgomery
Anna Miller, UCU
Alan Wilson and Ann Stewart-Paver, Unison
Trevor Reece, Unite
Martin Toone and Charles Hirst, GMB
Kent Union President; Kent Union Welfare Officer
Representative(s) from the Safety Unit as appropriate.
In attendance: Bernard Angus, Director of Safety, Health and Environment.
Secretary: Angela Hewlett, Safety, Health and Environment Unit (A.C.Hewlett@kent.ac.uk).
Terms of Reference:
HSECC has been established by the University to meet the statutory requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and the Safety Representatives and Safety Committees Regulations 1977 (as amended). The Committee promotes co-operation between University management and its employees in all matters concerning health, safety, environmental management and welfare of staff and students. It is the main forum through which management consult with employee groups on health, safety and the environment. It considers matters for information or for consultation from SHEEC, reports and matters from staff and student representatives and reports from external bodies. HSECC reports to the Safety, Health and Environment Executive Committee (SHEEC).
Membership of the Committee comprises approximately equal numbers of management members and employee representatives, who can be either trade union members, non-trade union members, or a combination of both.
In the event that the trade unions decline to represent those staff members who do not belong to a trade union, the University will, from time to time, advertise for non union safety representatives. Should it not be possible to attract these, the University will meet the statutory requirements of the Health and Safety (Consultation with Employees) Regulations 1996, but a combination of the following: -
- verbally through management briefings
- communication and consultation via a combination of management notices, or questionnaires
- Safety, Health and Environment Unit notices
- Local Safety Committees
- published documents from SHEEC and HSECC
The Chair will be appointed for one academic year and the role will rotate on an annual basis between management and unions. Management will nominate its Chair from amongst their representatives who sit on the Committee; this nominee should not be Chair of SHEEC. The Unions will nominate their Chair from amongst their members of trade unions recognised by the University who sit on the Committee.
- Senior representative from SHEEC (determined by its Chair)
- Director of Human Resources or appropriate nominee
- Director of Student Services or appropriate nominee
- Senior manager Kent Hospitality
- Senior manager Estates Department
- Senior manager, other than the Canterbury Campus
- Deans of the Faculties
- A representative of Unite
- A representative of UCU
- A representative of the Craft Unions
- A representative of GMB
- Two representatives of UNISON
- Two representatives of non-union staff members
- Two nominees of Kent Union
- The Director of the Safety, Health and Environment Unit or a nominated representative
- Committee Secretary
Other persons as required for the business of the meeting
For further information about this committee please see the Safety, Health & Environment website: