Hewlett Johnson Papers
Deposited papers and some books from Hewlett Johnson, the 'Red' Dean of Canterbury (1931-1963). In 2007 the collection was given to the University of Kent by members of Johnson's family, who also donated additional photographs and papers.
The collection consists of:
- photographs, which reflect the full range of Hewlett Johnson's interests and activities, both as a private and public figure
- correspondence with his wide range of contacts at home and abroad
- copies of his writings, both published and unpublished;
- notes for sermons
- diaries of foreign travel kept by his second wife Nowell
- collections of newspaper cuttings
- Canterbury Cathedral Chapter meeting minutes, between September 1936 - December 1939;
- miscellaneous items including posters and other ephemera.