Taught postgraduate funding
Scholarships at Kent Law School
The Taught Master's Home/EU Scholarships at Kent Law School cover full tuition fees payable by Home/EU students on taught master's degree programmes.
For entry in September 2017
Kent Law School offers a number of scholarships to students who are liable to pay tuition fees at the Home/EU rate. The scholarships are open to applicants on the Kent LLM programme offered at the Canterbury campus.
The scholarship will provide tuition fees at the full Home/EU rate. For the academic year 2017/18, the Home/EU rate is £7,210.
Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic excellence.
The closing date for applications is Friday 5 May 2017. A decision will be taken as soon as possible after the closing date. Candidates who have not been contacted by 30 June 2017 can assume that they have not been successful.
- Applicants must have submitted a separate application for study on the Kent LLM at Kent Law School at Canterbury to be considered for a Home/EU Scholarship
- The scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic excellence
- Where candidates are rated equivalent in terms of academic excellence, their financial circumstances will (if possible) be taken into account in deciding on an award
- The number of scholarships to be awarded will be at the discretion of the Law School
- An applicant should apply for the award of the scholarship as outlined below
- In order to take up the scholarship, it will be necessary for an applicant to meet all of the conditions specified in their offer of a place on the Kent LLM
- Scholarships may not be deferred
- Applicants who are unsuccessful, or who are unable to take up the offer of a scholarship, may apply for funding in subsequent years
- Any scholarship offered must be firmly accepted by signing the University’s Terms and Conditions and returning these within one month of the date of the letter from the University’s Scholarship Unit enclosing the Terms and Conditions. If not so accepted, the offer will automatically be withdrawn without further intimation to the applicant
- Students who are successful in the application will be considered Kent LLM Scholars and will have the opportunity to act as Kent LLM Ambassadors
Information to be provided by applicants
An application must make a case for the award of the scholarship to the applicant.
The case for the award of the scholarship should be between 1000 and 1500 words and should:
- Describe the applicant’s academic achievements and performance in university studies
- Discuss the applicant’s reasons for wishing to study for the Kent LLM
- Outline the applicant’s financial circumstances, indicating in particular whether the scholarship will make a difference to the feasibility of studying at the University of Kent. All applicants are required to indicate how they intend to pay for living expenses and all other costs during their postgraduate studies.
Further, students are asked to submit one piece of academic writing. This could be either a piece of coursework submitted for assessment at the applicant’s previous institution or it could be a 2,000 word essay written for this application on a topic of the applicant’s choosing.
Applicants are reminded to ensure that their academic referees have submitted full references in support of their LLM application for a place on the programme. A separate reference for the scholarship is not required.
Applicants may also submit a limited number of supporting documents, as they think appropriate. It is unnecessary to send a copy of documents which have already been submitted as part of the process of application for a place on the Kent LLM. Please note that any documents which arrive after the closing date may not be considered.
Enquiries and how to apply
How to Apply
Candidates must apply for a place to study on the Kent LLM at the University through the online process.
Candidates must also complete a KLS PG Funding Application Form (pdf version here) which should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org along with the letter making a case for the award and the writing sample.
Closing Date: Friday 5 May 2017
Enquiries may be addressed to the Postgraduate Office by e-mail on email@example.com, or by telephone on 0044-(0)1227 823154 or 0044-(0)1227 824595.