Cycling to work is fun and great for your health, wallet and planet. It can be liberating and also faster. You don't have to ride every day or even the whole route. So why not use a bicycle and enjoy your journey, the most you're likely to lose is a few pounds.
Cycling to the University is encouraged as part of the Travel Plan. As well as health and environmental reasons, there are other benefits to cycling!
- Check out the University's Cycle to Work scheme, which provides discounted rates for purchasing a bike and accessories.
- Staff using their bicycle for work related trips qualify for bicycle mileage payments of 20p per mile.
- Canterbury Cycles (22-24 Stour Street, Canterbury) are offering a discount of 15% on accessories and up to 10% on bikes to University staff and students upon production of their UoK ID card. A member of staff who purchases their bike using the Cycle to Work scheme will also receive a free service within 12 months of purchase.
- Bikes Bikes Bikes (42-44 High Street, Gillingham) are offering a discount to University staff and students, upon production of evidence of their status, on the purchase of new bicycles, equipment and repairs.
Did you know?
Cycling improves your heart's strength, efficiency, and even its working life the more you work it. It can protect against heart disease, high blood pressure, obesity and stress too.
Kent is privileged to have some fantastic cycle routes. Why not pedal along the stunning chalk cliffs of the North Downs or explore some of the cycle routes which take you past castles, ancient churches, historic houses, as well as many splendid and celebrated gardens. You can find information for cycle routes on the Sustrans, Kent County Council and Medway Council web sites.
Always remember to think safe when cycling!
Cycle hire scheme for Canterbury students
In colloboration with CyclingAge, we are introducing a new bicycle hire scheme for Canterbury students.
The campus map indicates all the locations where bikes can be parked. In all cases bikes should be secured and are left at the owner's risk.
- Keynes college (for men only). These are located next to the toilets on the ground floor. A key is required to access them and is available from the college reception (number 2, changing rooms). The Keynes showers are currently very basic, consisting of one communal room with three shower heads and an adjoining changing room.
- Library showers. They are for the use of University staff and students only and for a maximum of 30 minutes. The keys will be held at the Library Welcome Desk and KentOne ID will be required in order to access them. The showers will be available from 8am and will be locked in the evening at 6.30pm when the basement toilets are locked. Any technical or cleaning issues should be reported to the Welcome Desk who will pass it on to the IS FM team to refer as appropriate. If someone has been in the shower longer than the designated 30 minutes and another customer is waiting, then this can be reported to FM to check however, if FM are busy, they will respond as soon as they can. If there is an issue in the female shower and no female member of FM is available, another female member of staff will be asked to check.
- Some other buildings contain showers which are available to staff. Your line manager may be able to tell you if there is a shower nearby which you can use.
Travelling to the Canterbury campus
Don't forget it is possible to cycle all the way from Whitstable to the University along the old Crab and Winkle Line without the hazard of other traffic.
Search for cycle routes around Canterbury using this interactive map of Kent.
Kent University Bicycle User Group
KUBUG is an independent cycling group for the University of Kent at Canterbury. It's open to all students and staff who have an interest in cycling on or around the Canterbury campus. The group is run as a free, open email forum. It gives an opportunity for everyone to discuss cycling within the area and see what events are taking place on the website.
To find out more about the group or to join please visit the website.
You can park your bike at the following locations on campus:
- Drill Hall Library - covered facility
- Central Avenue
- Nelson Building - covered facility
In all cases bikes should be secured and are left at the owner's risk.
- Sports Hall (from 9am on Monday, Thursday and Friday; from 10am on Tuesday and Wednesday)
- Drill Hall Library (library staff only)
- Rochester Building (students and staff)
Lockers are available at the Sports Hall.
Travelling to the Medway campus
Don't forget you cannot cycle through the Medway Tunnel.
Download maps for Medway cycle routes. (Scroll to the bottom of the page and download the PDF files.)
- The University's new cycle-to-work scheme
- SPOKES East Kent cycle campaign
- Cycle rides and events
- Cyclists Touring Club
- Kent County Council cycling information
- Suggestions for cycing tours around Canterbury and Kent
- BBC Kent cycling information
- Southeastern Trains' policy for bicycles on trains