The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
Junior Year Abroad (JYA) English PLUS
JYA English PLUS has been designed to meet the needs of students whose first language is not English. It offers a combination of language training, study skills and the opportunity to study academic modules from across the University.
- Dedicated programme for non-native speakers
- A choice of end dates
- General and academic orientation with Kent’s new degree students
- Taught on the Canterbury campus - a safe, self-contained environment with everything you need for a good academic and social life
The programme is offered in two different lengths: a full year (from May to April) or part year (eight months from May to December). After your first 18 weeks of English language study (May - September) we assess your language skills. This helps to determine which modules you should follow from September onwards.
- We normally require a GPA of 3.0 or above (out of 4.0) or equivalent. However each application is considered on an individual basis.
- IELTS: At least an average of 4.5–6.0 with at least 4.5 in Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking.
- TOEFL (internet based:) A minimum total 57–86 with 8 in Reading, 17 in Writing, 13 in Listening and 19 in Speaking.
For full details, please see the JYA English PLUS pages on the University's Centre for English and World Languages website.
The University has everything that a student is looking for - a beautiful campus, quality education and a friendly atmosphere. I took the JYA English PLUS programme and it was ideal for me.
JYA English PLUS
Start date: May 2013
Finish date: Dec 2013 (part-year), Apr 2014 (full-year)
- Recognised qualification from University of Kent
- Improved English language skills
- Experience of living in the UK
- Head-start with job-hunting
- Friends from around the world